builder wanted - dept 46, 19 or 24

We have plans drawn up by an architect and now returned approved after planning permission sought so everythings ready to go.

We just need a builder! The project is to change a small, stable type annex (about 20msq x 2) into a summer sitting room with a bedroom over the top. The roof will need to be replaced as its slightly lower than the ajoining house and they need to be the same height.

We are really after a quote and work to start asap. The property is situated close to Souillac. A fosse septoc also needs to be installed for which we also have approval.

If anyone is inetersted pls email.

Thanks!  

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but builders here are like gold dust. A good builder will have about a year's work booked in advance. If you find someone who can start quickly it may mean they are not good, so nobody is using them. If they are available, check them out very carefully, get references etc. Otherwise it is a case of getting the locals to recommend someone and taking your place in a long queue.

I was annoyed at this week's Place in the Sun suggesting there are plenty of builders down here. That doesn't mean they are available, you may wait 12-18 months.

Good luck

It is unfair to suggest that if a builder can start straight away on your building that he is in some way 'dodgy' or 'no good' Builders too suffer from being let down by over ambitious clients who agree to work being done at a specific time and then letting the builder down by declaring that they "do not have the funds at the moment to carry out the work" I would also add that I am neither a builder or am I affilated to any in any way.

good luck with your search.

regards

dago

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but builders here are like gold dust. A good builder will have about a year's work booked in advance. If you find someone who can start quickly it may mean they are not good, so nobody is using them. If they are available, check them out very carefully, get references etc. Otherwise it is a case of getting the locals to recommend someone and taking your place in a long queue.

I was annoyed at this week's Place in the Sun suggesting there are plenty of builders down here. That doesn't mean they are available, you may wait 12-18 months."

Quite correct - in our area, 47, the only people that available to start straight away are almost certainly working 'on the black'.

We are booked up until Summer 2006, which is exceptional, but would generally expect to be booked 12 months ahead. All of the other registered artisans that we work with are similarly booked up.

There is no reason why a registered artisan should be let-down by a potential client. They can cost the work and prepare a devis. The client then pays their initial payment, be it 20% or 30% and the work is booked. If the client is unwilling to commit to the initial payment then the artisan should not get involved.

I have never been let-down by a client, nor to my knowledge have any of the artisans that I work with.

People working 'on the black' are a huge problem in our area of south-west France, and it is not helped by publications such as French Property News that choose to carry small ads for 'services' without requiring a Siret number and who only have UK phone numbers or possibly a French mobile number.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

We're often let down by clients (late stage payments, significant changes to the spec. at the last minute etc.). We also suffer from more and more supply problems - roof tiles being the worst. As a result we tend to keep 4 or 5 sites on the go at the same time which also we means we always have something to do on a rainy day.

A newly registered builder may be able to start straightaway but will soon find himself with a waitng list if he's any good. Generally, however, most builders who are registered and making a go of things have a waiting list of at least 6 months.

Bob C,

I can't say I agree with the tone of your comments about people working on the black being a huge problem (in your area). I can only assume that you mean they are generaly not working to a very high standard, in which case the people hiring them take their own risks, and if you're all booked up then it hardly affects your income does it? Sorry but it smacks of the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude of a lot of Brits: Which is one of the reasons I left the uk in the first place!!

I'm sure that you meant that the standards of unregistered builders are outrageously bad, but for me a lot of the people working on the black are decent workman who are stuck without the funds to set up a business in this region of high unemployment and straightjacket red tapery!

Again, apologies if I've misunderstood your point, I'm probably just hijacking this thread to make a point!

"Bob C,

I can't say I agree with the tone of your comments about people working on the black being a huge problem (in your area). I can only assume that you mean they are generaly not working to a very high standard, in which case the people hiring them take their own risks, and if you're all booked up then it hardly affects your income does it? Sorry but it smacks of the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude of a lot of Brits: Which is one of the reasons I left the uk in the first place!!

I'm sure that you meant that the standards of unregistered builders are outrageously bad, but for me a lot of the people working on the black are decent workman who are stuck without the funds to set up a business in this region of high unemployment and straightjacket red tapery!

Again, apologies if I've misunderstood your point, I'm probably just hijacking this thread to make a point!"

Probably slightly hijacking the original posting but that is what the Forum is about!

My original reply was probably not very clear.

In 47 we have two types of people working on the black:

Those that come over for the summer and carry out work for friends and family - no great problem.

Those that have lived in France for many years and are ‘in the system’ are a bigger problem. They are receiving the benefits with regard to healthcare and schooling that this implies. Many are registered as ‘gardeners’ within a Micro Enterprise, but carry out major building work. This work is often paid for in cash or by sterling cheque which goes back to the UK. Their actual earnings are over the threshold for TVA registration but they ask their clients to open an account at the local builders merchants to pay for the materials for the work. Their clients end up paying 19,6% TVA on materials that would have only been 5,5% on a qualifying property.

As you have pointed out, some of these people work to a high standard, but by being unregistered they are able to quote lower prices as they do not have to factor in the taxes and social charges to their prices.

I am not sure about your ‘I’m alright Jack’ comment. We have worked hard to set up our business properly in France and we pay all the high taxes and social charges associated with this. As have the other registered artisans that we work with.

At the end of the day, these illegal workers are taking work away from registered French artisans. It is not really an excuse to arrive in France and then complain about the cost of setting up in business.

There is a cost implication involved in setting up business in France - but you have a choice. If you do your research there are grants and interest-free loans for setting up new businesses - certainly in our area of rural 47.

Charles makes a good point which I missed on newly registered businesses being available to start straightaway.

‘I agree with Bones on his points, besides which I thought that Advertising was 'verboten' so is Bobc's link to his business Web Site in breach of that rule? "only asking"

regards

Dago’

In common with a number of other Forum users, including some moderators, I have a link to our website.

Hopefully it enables other users to evaluate the information that we post.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Fair comment.

I know a couple of english guys 'around our way' who have been payed peanuts on the black whilst working for one of the guys you seem to have identified, now they are getting sick of him - and his ineptitude, and the clients they've worked for are giving them sideways nods!

The upshot is that they are now in a position to bring things above board and good luck to them.

So I suppose we are talking, as you pointed out, about two types of unregistered workers: those scraping a living and those taking the right royal p**s!

Nice one for bringing the moderators in with your website defence. heh-heh.

Having work done by someone on the 'black' is a risk for those that they are working for. I thought that if the worker was caught the person they were working for was also in deep trouble. They have no insurance, so if your house has any problems you are not covered by any insurance, no 10 year guarantee and if they injure themselves on your property, well we have all heard about the folk in the South of France who had to sell up and leave because they were fined after their gardener (not registered) injured himself.

Add to that the loss of the lower rate of TVA and you may think that this is all of your problems - not so. When we bought our barn, every important bit of work the previous owner had done was spelt out to us - item by item by the Notaire, reminding us that it was not covered by insurance.