Tax return for unknown person

Pierre ZFP

When I returned home yesterday I found in my postbox a French tax return for someone I don't know.  Well I'm assuning it's a tax return, 'Republic Francaise' all over it and sealed up in a dark blue plastic wrapper.

Although I don't know the name on it, it has my Luxembourg address exactly right.

What do I do? Ignore it? Send it back?  

I was thinking I might pop it in a post box when I'm next in France with the equivalent of 'Not known at this address'

Incidently, if one of you good people can tell me what the French equivalent of 'Not known at this address' is I'll be much obliged [:)]

I agree with Chancer for all the reasons he gave.

Our tax return arrived a few days ago and had slipped in the blue plastic envelope and we couldn't see the name until we opened it. If it hadn't been for us, we would never have known until we opened it.

Just a word of advice. here in the UK it is seemingly a criminal offence to open mail that is not addressed to you.

We have had a spate of mail for an obviously false name(Every letter has been doubled so it looked like eerrnniiee ). Despite returnong these with "Not known at this address" the letter continued so we opened one to get a contact name/address/ tel number for the sender. Their call centre was not very helpful so Mrs Rabbie phoned the police to report this false use of our address. The police were not at all interested but gave Mrs R a strict warning about opening mail.

As I said, we couldn't even see the addressee on ours this year, so opened it. If it hadn't been for us, I would have been surprised, but there you go. It's all very well having a 'window' for the address to show through, but these slip and slide around.

And I have to say IF something arrives at our address and I haven't got my specs on I could easily mistakenly, rather than maliciously?or  illegally? open a letter. Stuff that is not for us  should not come to our address, only 'we' live here.

I think I will not open it, after all is there anything to be gained as I assume it is just a blank form to be completed.

If I did open it I would just claim it was done in error as didn't look too closely at the name.

I will mark it "Inconnu à l'adresse indiquée"  (Thank you 5-E) and as I will be over the border in France tomorrow anyway, I'll stick it in the first postbox I see and let the French authorities sort it out.  If I posted it here in Lux it would probably come straight back to me [:'(]

You cannot answer "is there anything to be gained?" or even lost unless you open it, if you send it to France inconnue a cet addresse it will just be thrown away as they will only return mail that has a return address written on the back.

A pleasure for you in the years to come Chancer will be all the letters from huissiers etc that come to your address after tenants have left.

Anything obviously from the State, such as letters from the CAF, impots etc I return to sender, but the others I put in a box inside the front door (having clearly told our postman SPIT that they don't live here)

The only letters he returns are those addressed to me ...grrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg