Swiss currency

JohnRoss

I am pretty sure this has come up before but I cannot find the post. I need to get my hands on some Swiss Francs and where would I go to get them? Only need a modest amount and hoping our French and/or British Credit/Debit cards will not ring alarm bells because of unusual use in Switzerland. I have asked the Brit bank if there is anything I should do to make sure they don't block it, heard of this happening, but so far they have not replied! Think I might notify the French bank that we intend to use our Debit card in Switzerland  and hope they are happy with that. I assume you can use a French Debit card/Mastercard in another country. Some have said that it is ok to use cards in a Swiss ATM for small amounts but there maybe charges in addition to standard rates.So any pointers would be very helpful..........................JR 

I don't think you will have any difficulty.  Visa and Mastercard are designed to be used internationally; I've never had any problem as a result of using them "abroad."

It is true that if you use a card to make a payment, or withdraw cash, in a country other than the card's own country of issue, you will usually incur some cost in the form of exchange fees and/or a poor conversion rate.  But it probably won't amount to much in relation to the total cost of a foreign trip.

I have only once had a transaction queried because it was "unusual" – but it wasn't in another country; it was in the country where I lived, but it was in a city a long way from my home and it was an unusually large amount.  (It was, in fact, fraudulent.)    

I often used to get money from the cash machine in Switzerland without problems using my french card, never a problem. A main office of La Poste should be able to sell you some swiss francs if you want them before you go, and maybe your local La Poste could order them for you, or your bank.

Our (Lloyds) Mastercard was blocked once in Géant for a large buy, while a large queue built up behind us. After a long discussion with someone in authority it was accepted, although still technically blocked. I guess they thought we were reasonably honest.

My bank subsequenly said it had been an "unusual transaction", and that I should have simply called the Customer Helpline number on the back of the card [I].

I now advise via this number (with appropriate identity check) if any "unusual transactions" are forthcoming. That's if I remember [:D]

When we "shared" a UK credit card, with me residing in the UK and hubby in France, we told them that they should not "worry" if the card was used in France, for largish amounts (we used it for house stuff being purchased) and they noted on our record that it would be used in both countries regularly, and possibly at the same time,  so save any querying.

Whilst I suspect technically it is not necessary to inform your card supplier that you will be using it abroad, if it is the first time you have done this it may stop any problems before they happen if you take the courtesy of telling the supplier that you will be using it abroad.   Also, like mobile phones, which need to be "set" for roaming, it may need the same communication for a card to ensure safe use out ofits "home" country.

Better safe than sorry, is my motto.

I have to say that I've never really understood this 'Notify us if you're going to be doing anything different with your card' thing.  IMO a waste of time.

If you present your card for payment, it either works or it doesn't. What I mean is that there isn't enough time for human intervention, i.e. someone looking at a screen and saying "Ah, the cardholder has told us that he / she is going to be back in the UK or wherever, so it's OK".  It happens faster than that.

The system, with it's built-in software and random-ish security checks just says "Non", and that's it.

Don't misunderstand me - most of the time, the systems know enough about our profiles to make a good call on whether the transaction is good or dodgy. Combination of past history, value of transaction, type of trader.

They know more about us than we could ever imagine. That's why I can't understand all the fuss (anti) about ID cards ........... but I daren't start that one all over again!!    

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I did email the French bank and they

replied promptly with a hand written note by post as they have "une panne

informatique" at the moment which says something about their wishing to keep

their customers happy. Whereas not a dicky bird from the British bank yet! In

their note they indicate a limit of 650 euros in 7 sequential days when abroad.

They did not comment on blocking transactions of unusual use in unusual

locations so one hopes it will be ok!................JR

PS I will ask them now if they can supply Swiss Francs from our local

branch or if not where.