wine tasting weekend

Hi,

A friend has kindly offered to have the kids for our first weekend away alone in 20 years!!!   Thinking of driving to the Bordeaux region for a wine tasting weekend,  to organise ourselves rather than a package,  any suggestions of where to stay and visit.

I have noted Cathys comments re the Medoc Chateau.

Lollie  Dept 44

I do think that the open weekends in April that I posted are really a good way of wine tasting.  You have so many chateaux to chose from and you can guarantee that, that weekend, they are all open.  When I have tried to visit chateaux outside these weekends, it can be really disappointing as they have erratic opening and closing times. 

When in France, I live in the Medoc and so I drive around to try out new wines.  You turn up to find no one there or someone there but who is not prepared to sell you anything.  One thing that I do is to keep some plastic (ex water or lemonade) bottles in my car for filling up when a chateau is unexpectedly open.

For those who didn't see the original posting:

Any wine connoisseurs amongst you may be pleased to learn that the Medoc chateaux are open this year for two weekends -  8th & 9th April and from 15th to 17th April.

Leaflets are available from Carole Vidal at [email protected] . Just send her your address so that she can post one to you.

Last year, we started at the tourist office at Pauillac (a large building on the south end of the water front) who helped us with a route.

A lovely day out for you...