An interactive map of poverty in 100 French towns

NormanH

This is a map of poverty in the 100 largest towns in France.

The x axis shows the % of people below the poverty line, so the further to the right the worse the situation, while the  y axis shows the average income per poor  family in the town, so the closer to the bottom the worse.

If you pass the cursor over the coloured balls you get the statistics.

Nîmes Perpignan and Béziers confirm the impression I often give of social conditions in the Languedoc, despite the weather and holiday beaches..

http://www.lagazettedescommunes.com/123564/pauvrete-en-finir-avec-la-politique-de-lautruche-2/#fn-123564-1

Le taux de pauvreté calculé par Le Compas correspond au pourcentage de ménages qui, dans une ville donnée, perçoivent moins de 60 % du revenu médian national après prestations et avant impôts (soit 954 euros).

I think all these figures show is how rich the average French person is and how much he considers him/herself to be poor because someone else has more then they do.

I live quite happily on 22% of the revenu median so by their reckoning should be considered to be very poor yet I am far from it, I guess it depends on what you throw your money away on and how much you envy those who you percieve to have more than yourself.

It does make me laugh when people around here say that "its Ok for you, you are rich" and do that distastefull thumb and forefinger rubbing gesture.

I have just found this which confirms my feelings

En dépit du ralentissement de la croissance depuis les années 1970, la France continue à s’enrichir. Le revenu médian augmente et donc avec lui le seuil de pauvreté. Entre 1970 et 2009, le seuil de pauvreté à 50 % a doublé en euros constants (c’est-à-dire une fois que l’on a retiré l’inflation). Le seuil à 50 % est passé de 388 à 795 euros. Les pauvres d’aujourd’hui sont beaucoup plus riches que ceux d’hier, mais ils ne vivent pas dans la même société : les besoins ne sont plus les mêmes.

But to be fair you are a single person and those figures are for families. 658 € isn't a lot (figures for my town)

Still you are right in so far as my parents never had a car a washing machine or a colour TV (no TV at all until about 5 years before they died)

I am not saying I couldn't live on your budget Chancer, as if I put my mind to it, I probably could, eventually. My Dad probably spends as much as you do, by choice, he likes to keep his expenses down to very little apart from when he travels, and even then he always finds the best deal.

As I point out to my Dad, if no one spent much, then society as we know it would grind to a halt. I personally wouldn't want to live on 954€ a month, but as I said, if I had to, I could and a lot less.

I hadnt realised that it was the total revenue for the foyer, if that is correct then it must be a real challenge for the families.

I cannot imagine how they manage with a couple of kids, a few dogs and cats, canalplus, internet, a vehicle, mobile phones, cigarettes and the alcohol that they buy in Lidl at 12.30 and 18.30.

Oh I forgot the holidays.

Are you sure its total revenue par foyer? If so I am completement degonflé.

Yes, I think it is. Although when there are children,there will be family allowances which won't be mentioned. And when people are that poor there are other allowances from the CAF and yet they must struggle even with these allowances.

Life is very hard for many.

It says that it is par ménage, but of course as idun says it is hard to know what that includes.

For example is it 'disposable' income, does it include family allowances or APL for housing etc?

As an example my lodgers (a family of three) have about that amount coming in in allowances, but they get the rent paid by the CAF and a 'social tariff' for electricity, although that doesn't really save much. I don't think that the APL and tariff would be in the figures.

[quote user="NormanH"]It says that it is par ménage, but of course as idun says it is hard to know what that includes.
[/quote]

Le taux de pauvreté calculé par Le Compas correspond au pourcentage de ménages qui, dans une ville donnée, perçoivent moins de 60 % du revenu médian national après prestations et avant impôts (soit 954 euros).

[quote user="idun"]

............. I personally wouldn't want to live on 954€ a month, but as I said, if I had to, I could and a lot less. ...................

[/quote]

I think many would love to.

That's what the average french family lives on, even if it's a small amount by your standards.

Edit. Sorry. misread the 954€ as being the revenu médian national après prestations et avant impôts (soit 954 euros) , rather than 60% of this.

Anyway, even in the UK, 50% of the households have an income less than the national average [:D]

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="NormanH"]It says that it is par ménage, but of course as idun says it is hard to know what that includes.

[/quote]

Le taux de pauvreté calculé par Le Compas correspond au pourcentage de ménages qui, dans une ville donnée, perçoivent moins de 60 % du revenu médian national après prestations et avant impôts (soit 954 euros).

[/quote]

Thanks I hadn't spotted that

Of course the actual figures in a particular town have to be found from the map.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="nomoss"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks I hadn't spotted that
Of course the actual figures in a particular town have to be found from the map.
[/quote]

C'est moi[:)]