Accountant Recommendation Please

Helgamobil

I am not sure if this is permitted on the Forum, but are there any recommendations for Accountants in South West France.

Initially, despite all the huge amount of useful info in the Forum, we thought we should consult an Accountant to look at our financial profile and do Tax Returns.....yes?

You probably should mention if you want an English speaking one or not...

In my opinion if you want someone to do something for you in France they should live on your doorstep.. Bank Manager, accountant etc etc

Yes, I guess English speaking might be better initially, although we both speak French - the language of the Tax Office is probably off our radar.

We are looking in the Bordeaux, Bergerac, Toulouse triangle, but only in the smaller towns within that area.

The most important qualification is that the person you see knows about UK as well as French tax, and how they interact.  We were given totally wrong advice by a local accountant who seemed to have no idea about anything other than the French form and indeed told us that we should not enter UK property income on the French form at all.  Er - wrong. Luckily we knew it was wrong (we are both UK accountants) so eventually dealt with it at our local tax office, where the staff member was very helpful, even if he did have to look up how to deal with the rent!!

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
A good article abt the differences between UK and French accountanats

http://www.connexionfrance.com/keep-auditors-and-accountants-apart-10220-news-article.html

After several inquiries I opted for a local accountant, he was alot infact a fraction of the cost of the so called bilingual accountant. He had no problems dealing correctly with rental or UK interest.

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure how this system works.  I am looking for an English speaking accountant in the Gourdon area.  I not you had some success with your local accountant and wonder where that is.  My French is coming along and I have done this year's forms but did it on line and I think something may have gone wrong.  I need help!

[quote user="jules"]I'm not sure how this system works.  I am looking for an English speaking accountant in the Gourdon area.  I not you had some success with your local accountant and wonder where that is.  My French is coming along and I have done this year's forms but did it on line and I think something may have gone wrong.  I need help!
[/quote]

Are your tax affairs complex or simply a straightforward case of UK earnings taxable over here?