Police presence in Montpellier

Ask them;I noticed a lot of Gendarmes(not the police) around our village and had a chat with the officer in charge,who was quite happy to stand and chat;his answer was that they had orders to make themselves more visible to the public,but as to Montpellier,I know not.

Just wondered if I'd missed something, that's all.  I kind of assumed it was some Vigipirate thing, still see it mentioned now and again.

I must be thinking of that odd non-scare about a terrorist attack in the Polygone ages ago, or maybe the bloke who drove through a pedestrianised area trying to run over someone he thought was Osama bin Laden.

It all happens in Montpellier, you know! 

Went to the station to buy a paper when we were last there and on my way out ran into a posse of police and armed soldiers.  I've nothing to fear of course but suddenly realised that my passport was at the flat and I had no means of identification at all.  Fortunately, they were all stood about gossiping so I passed through them unhindered. 

One minute the station is crawling with them, the next they're all gone. Since they spend their time talking to each other I wonder what they're up to ...