I may be moving to Avignon (the job will be based in St Rémy)  in the not to distant future and although I have been there once for a few hours, I was wondering if anyone had or has experience of living there? Good or bad experiences would be welcome to give a balanced view, as I am sure 350 days of sunshine is not the only good reason to live there.

Many thanks

Dale

What exactly would you like to know?  Apt. rental rates in Avignon run the gammut.  I have a good friend who just moved into a two (small) bedroom apt. in the center of Avignon for 660 Euros per month.  She does have a parking space for her car.

St. Remy is not Avignon.  Do you intend to live in Avignon and work in St. Remy, or vice versa? 

Where are you coming from?  That may have a bearing on cost comparison of electricity, water, etc.  Do you plan to buy or rent?

I have found people in this area to be quite friendly. 

All shops, services are within easy distance of St. Remy.  Avignon has all available.

If you give us some specific areas of interest, I'm sure you will get a detailed reply.

I agree with Lori (Hi Lori!) that it depends on many things. St. Remy is a very nice place to work and live, so why bother with Avignon? If you have a job then everything else is easy! (St.Remy does have a reputation for being expensive because some famous people have houses there).

The weather here is nice and sunny, but it can also get windy and very cold in winter.

Please give us some more details and perhaps we can be of more help.

Good luck anyway.

Elaine

Hi

Thanks for the replies.  I am possibly coming to Avignon from Germany (Bonn).  I have found numerous websites for renting property, although I can not believe the quality of the photographs (if any at all), and I thought the Germans were useless at this   However, if you know of any good websites, I would be interested to know of them.  We have a 100 sqm in Bonn which costs around 930 Euros inc,except electricity, another 60 per month.

I was looking at Avignon as it is a city and we have already made a mistake of living in a quiet town, so we are interested in the city life as my wife will not have a job.  So I am really interested in knowing what life in general is like, good, bad indifferent?

Many thanks

Daley - I understand a bit more now.  If your wife speaks French, she will have many cultural clubs she could join in Avignon.  There are ALL types.  There are also all types of classes that can be taken - art, pottery, writing, etc.  If she doesn't speak much French, she will have many language clubs she can join to learn. 

There are all types of shops in the city of Avignon, for all budgets.  If you are German, I'm sure you could hook up with other Germans should you wish to do so.

As to the rental websites.  I cannot offer you much on this.  I think you will find most of that type of data once you are on the ground here.  There certainly are websites, but often they are not kept up to date and certainly don't list the great majority of rentals.  The websites noting properties for sale has (so far) far outweighed the websites for property for rent.

I think the price you pay in Germany for a 100 m2 apartment could be found here too, electricity too.  As always, this depends upon neighborhood and quality.

I like Avignon very much.  I find it is not too big and not too small, making it quite manageable and fun.  The only time I don't like it is July and August when it is too crowded with tourists for me.

Thanks Lori for your thoughts.  It was the exact reason you stated that "it is not too big and not too small" that appeals to me.  I am English as is my Wife.  I am negotiating relocation allowance, so as you rightly said there is nothing like being on the ground to see everything.  If we do decide to make the move, I'll be in touch.

again thanks for your help.

Merci

Dale

Hi

just worth saying that if your preference is for a larger city, Nimes is not much further away from St Remy than Avignon. From the East of Nimes, it is about 30 mins drive to St Remy.

The local paper property section has rental property here http://www.immodumidi.com/annonces/rubrique.php?id_zone=30N

There is also a local English speaking association at http://www.britsnimes.com

Peter