good place to buy bikes?

There is massive Carrefour on the way out of town towards Narbonne Plage,  they sell cheap bikes. 

As an aside, you see hundreds of bikes strapped to  the backs of camping cars and cars heading down the Autoroutes but hardly ever see anyone on  a bike at the beaches or campsites, I wonder what % of bikes stay strapped in the racks???[:)]

Has anyone seen any "adult" three-wheel bikes used here?  I never learned to ride the "normal" kind (too many cars in our neighborhood and an over-protective mother), and I just can't get the hang of it now.  But, I know that those adult trikes existed in L.A. 

My husband tells me that if I use one here, everyone will laugh at me.  But it's either that, or no bike at all.

PG

thanks for the advice- I don't know why all the cars have the bikes on the back racks during the summer, maybe the bikes are on their hols too and are looking forward to a nice rest!! As regards the 3 wheelers, I haven't seen them being used in France and i do notice that a query similar to yours from another contributer has no replies so it doesn't look too hopeful.

[quote user="toni"] As regards the 3 wheelers, I haven't seen them being used in France and i do notice that a query similar to yours from another contributer has no replies so it doesn't look too hopeful.[/quote]

Clearly, my husband is right about it being too dorky for the French.  On the other hand, I'd rather be dorky than have a broken hip...

PG

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy bikes -adults and kids-in and around Narbonne. They're just for a bit of summer diversion so any' low cost 'suggestions would be great.

I don't know what's available in Narbonne however when we required bicycles for our maison secondaire we went to the local bike shop. When we mentioned that we were looking for bikes that would be used just for holiday times and would be used by our clients they suggested we looked at their second hand bikes. We found two excellent bikes and had new mudguards put on one and a seat height, adjustment gadget fitted on the other, they also delivered them to our house FOC. These were certainly cheaper than buying new and have been worth every franc we spent on them.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

There is massive Carrefour on the way out of town towards Narbonne Plage,  they sell cheap bikes. 

As an aside, you see hundreds of bikes strapped to  the backs of camping cars and cars heading down the Autoroutes but hardly ever see anyone on  a bike at the beaches or campsites, I wonder what % of bikes stay strapped in the racks???[:)]

[/quote]

All the bikes seem to end up on our b roads in the summer, all riding 2 or 3 abreast. Must be some form of French suicide holiday special.

I would go along with the earlier recommendations for Decathlon. www.decathlon.fr shows there is a store in Narbonne.

Supermarket bikes are OK if you want something dirt cheap, but if you actually want to ride the thing then Decathlon's are in a totally different league regarding quality of components etc and you get after-sales service too. Also, many garages, garden machinery sellers and the like have bike departments with knowledgeable staff (at least round here). France may not be the place if you want the cheapest bikes - as many people seem to - but the French obsession with cycling that sees them putting on their Lycra and helmets for a trip down to the shop ensures that what you get is generally pretty good.

The original poster wanted a cheap bke to use on holiday not enter the French mountain bike championships[:)]  So for two weeks use I would think a Carrefour bike at 80€ , which are made by the same people who supply bikes to Intersport and the like, would do fine don't you think?

[quote user="Teamedup"]Possumgirl there are bicycles that cost more than that. I just hadn't realised that trikes could too. I would not like to be so low down if cycling on french roads.[/quote]

I honestly hadn't realized they were so expensive.  And, you're probably right that with the windy roads being that low would probably make you practically invisible to traffic coming up behind you.  As it is, I think it's a wonder there are more flat cyclists than there are!

PG

[quote user="Ron Avery"]The original poster wanted a cheap bke to use on holiday not enter the French mountain bike championships[:)]  So for two weeks use I would think a Carrefour bike at 80€ , which are made by the same people who supply bikes to Intersport and the like, would do fine don't you think?[/quote]

I'm sure it would do fine, I'd prefer to pay an extra 10€ and get one at Decathlon if it was me. But it's a free country (sort of) and people are free to look at all the options and make up their own minds, n'est-çe-pas?