Is there really such a huge difference between the weather in Toulouse and Perpignan? The BBC website always shows Toulouse as at least 5 or 6 degrees centigrade lower than Perpignan and always cloudier and more showery. We are coming to stay in Esperaza, near Quillan, in a couple of weeks   - is the weather likely to be more like Perpignan or Toulouse?

many thanks

I'm yet to find a reliable weather service.  I've tried several of the online services mentioned by members of the forum and they are all unreliable.  Yesterday they all showed Alençon as rainy and overcast all day - both when I checked them at 8.00am and again at 5.00pm.  All of Lower Normandy (at least 30 miles around Alençon, we were out and about) was sunny and warm.  So don't believe all the weather stations say! [:)]

There can be huge differences in weather even within a small area let alone between Toulouse and Perpignan, one of which is inland and the other by the coast. Esperaza is just to the east of a divide which means that its weather is more likely to be Mediterranean influenced than Atlantic influenced. Don't be surprised if the weather is quite windy. Another web-site that you can try is www.meteoconsult.fr and you can enter the precise location where you are staying but I agree with all the caveats about weather forecasting above.

Enjoy your stay

Jan Laury

If you subscribe to Meteo Consult you can get the weather as Jan said. We do and you can get it for your village or anywhere in France for about 10 daze in advance. The first 5 are given in detail and are generally good with the next 5 as a probable. For us 35€ a year was a good spend...

If you don't subscribe then you can still get for anywhere, but only for the 'today'. Still worth looking at...

For the Quillan region, I tend to use www.weather.co.uk and then do one 10 day forecast for Carcassonne and one 10 day forecast for Perpignan and then take a mix of the two. Carcassonne is usually about 2 to 3 degrees cooler as it is quite exposed, but the Quillan area isn't always as sunny as Perpignan. However, take caution - if it says it's going to rain in Perpignan it doesn't normally get to us and if it's raining in Carcassonne then it usually only gets to us if the wind is coming from the North or North East. The whole Haute Vallee D'Aude has a micro climate of its own, so very difficult to predict the weather unless you can actually see the sky there!!!! We can almost see the rain in Axat (just through the Defile de Pierre Lys) or on the Pays de Sault but be sitting on our balcony in full sunshine! September and October tend to be very changeable, we've been sunbathing one year and then another year at the same time it was horrible.

Good luck with your trip

Jo