Pension annuities

Racerbear02

I have tried to search for information on this but the search does not seem to be functioning properly

Has anyone ever tried to buy a French annuity using a UK pension fund?  is this indeed possible at all??

I have a small UK pension fund to invest and am looking to see if there is anyway I could get a Euro based pension.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives?

And inevitably, any pitfalls?

Though I stand to be corrected I do not think that this is allowed under HMRC rules - well not as you describe it.

If you are permanenetly resident outside the UK and registered as such with HMRC, then you can move your pension off-shore.  I think there are other criteria that have to be met as well.  Do a search under QROPS.  This will show the mechanism for moving your pension pot.  The one benefit this brings is that you are not required to take an annuity at all, and can rely on investment income to provide a pension (which is what the insurance company does when it sells yoiu an annuity - so you cut out the middle man).  On death, the residual value of your investments are passed on as part of your estate. 

The risk however should be obvious, since if the investment portfolio goes t*ts up, then you have no income.

[quote user="Cappicenno"]As too many people going to France from the England will have a right to a United Kingdom State pension, along with various private and company pension benefits. This is information appropriate to English people going to or planning to buy a pension annuity in France.[/quote]How many are too many? This statement could be taken to be racist and anti-English, Surely not what this forum is about