where should we stay?

Rose

Living as we do now on this side of the chanel we though a quick trip to Paris may be a good idea... so, OH, our 9 year old son and me are planning a weekend away 14/16 December.  We don't want to spend a fortune on our hotel and I've been searching the internet for best palces to stay... we want somewhere that is ok for walking around at night, close to tourist sites and has restaurants close by... I've been reading all sorts of conflicting advice and then thought... why don't I ask you guys!  So... any tips about the best district to stay in... or a good value hotel?  [:D]

I stay in a 2 star just off Place d' Italie when I go to Paris ...I have used the place for years its modern ...clean ..comfortable and has great transport links on the door step and is surrounded by  good value restaurants .... Place d' Italie has the metro links to everywhere  and the Latin Quarter is 20 minutes away or a short bus ride .....Room for three is 75 Euros ....Hotel Neptune  15 rue Godefroy ...if you want to Google it ...... I am sure  lots of people will have their favorite spots in Paris ... and will pass them on ....Wish I was there now  getting on and off the water bus  which we tend to use with a day ticket....I do like Paris...enjoy ! 

Thanks Frederick... I wasn't sure I'd get a reply so your info is very much appreciated... sounds just up our street!  I haven't been to Paris in years - last time was 1983!!!  Our son wants to see the Christmas lights and has been asking ever since he knew we had decided to move to France... I must admit I am also very much looking forward to the trip now too!

many thanks again!  [:D]

"We don't want to spend a fortune on our hotel and I've been searching the internet for best palces to stay... we want somewhere that is ok for walking around at night, close to tourist sites and has restaurants close by.."

Try the area around Montmartre, we got a resonable deal at Hotel des Arts last November it has a tiny cinema opposite and many small restaurants nearby.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

"We don't want to spend a fortune on our hotel and I've been searching the internet for best palces to stay... we want somewhere that is ok for walking around at night, close to tourist sites and has restaurants close by.."

Try the area around Montmartre, we got a resonable deal at Hotel des Arts last November it has a tiny cinema opposite and many small restaurants nearby.

[/quote]

Hi Cendrillon... I remember Montmatre from all those years ago....and we did see a coupld of hotels here on Expedia... then I read that this area was a bit seedy at night and became nervous... perhaps I should have a second look?  [8-)]

We stay at the Comfort hotel in the Rue Mouffetard in the 5th arrondisment when we go to Paris. Rue Mouffetard  is full of little restos and bars and has a small market at one end most mornings. It is comparatively traffic free and close to the ile de la cite with Notre Dame etc. The only down side is that the rooms are small. The nearest metro is Place Monge.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

We didn't find it a problem however I think any large city is going to have seedy areas you will always need to be on your guard.

Have you contacted the French tourist offices for information?

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Cendrillon... We saw a few reasonably priced hotels in the area so maybe we should look again at this.  I'll have a search on the web later and look at all the suggestions put forward!   Thanks again everyone for the comments...  much appreciated! [:)]

• 2 months later...

Dear all... just to let you know we ended up in a nice little hotel in the 16th and a lovely time was had by all three of us!  Thanks for your suggestions!

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/ppspecs/champs2.jpg[/IMG]

PPP dont tell me you was one of those lunatics queuing in the middle of the road Saturday night to take the photo of Champs de Leeeezay!  It was quite a sight wasnt it?  Cold though.

Did you catch the Sunday night flight to Exeter?  You was even at the airport the same time as me. 

[quote user="Just Katie"]

PPP dont tell me you was one of those lunatics queuing in the middle of the road Saturday night to take the photo of Champs de Leeeezay!  It was quite a sight wasnt it?  Cold though.

Did you catch the Sunday night flight to Exeter?  You was even at the airport the same time as me. 

[/quote]

[:D]  I would agree to being in the middle of the road, but it was Friday Night! I was lucky... we crossed and there was only 2 other people there... whilst waiting for lights to change just snaped a photo both ways so I have one very similiar of the Arch de Triumph!  yes it was cold!  I was told layers would do it... but it didn't!!!

No, not me in Exeter... I lives in France now maid but I used to live just beyond the airport... well away from those noisy planes though [:$]