We woke up on the 27th to a beautiful snow scene in the garden.  That's fine I thought, can't work now, have to site by the fire, reading books I received for Christmas and eating chocolates.  Now I'm beginning to get a bit stir-crazy - we can't get out, we've finished all the pheasant, ham and beef.  I've eaten all the chocolates, I'm bored with all the repeat films on the tele and although Gordon Ramsay has given me lots of inspiration I can't get out to buy the ingredients!!!

What's it like where you are?  We're in mid-Manche on the side of a hill that has turned into the Cresta run.  Even the milk lorries aren't attempting it!

We stayed at home yesterday as it looked too risky to go out, but today the main roads were fine and the A84 was re-opened (except to lorries). Lanes were more difficult as very frozen, but ok if taken slowly.

It looks as if it will be bad again tomorrow morning, but the forecast is for warmer weather and rain by afternoon. I shan't be sorry to see the snow go (although the dogs enjoy it!).

well my black car is still black in the mornings!  had a few days last week when it was white with ice untill 10 am , but no snow and beautifull blue skies with a 2 pm temp of around 12 degrees.

Off to put a log on the fire , I too like my comfort.

Mrs O

Not sure about yesterday on the coast but today just south of Alencon (Orne/Sarthe border) we've got something I haven't seen before - freezing rain.  No, not hail, rain that freezes as it hits the trees/ground etc.  The icicles on the barn roof are amazing and the lake looks perfect for ice skating now - but I think we'll stay by the fire a bit longer!

We used to live not far from where you are and we had that once years ago.  It was so incredible that I took photos to show my boss in Paris (he could never believe the weather conditions we got in the Perche) compared to Paris.  Our cars were completely covered in a coat of ice and little trees bent right over to the ground under the weight, all the branches covered in ice.

Down here in the Poitou-Charentes we haven't had any snow so far (fingers crossed), but today it's very cold rain and foggy.  I pity all the people who have been in the snow, as I get older I hate the Winter with all the animals.  I feel very very sorry that there are several SDF who have died... yesterday it was a fifty-two year old woman.  In Paris "30 Millions d'Amis" has a peniche (barge) where they can go with their dogs, they feed the owners and the dogs and give them a cabin for the night.  How awful to be out in this.

It has always existed, before the "climate change".  Does anyone remember when the Thames froze over back in the fifties?  We used to live on the Thames at that time (I was only a child  [A]), but I seem to remember ropes across for people who were mad enough to cross on foot, but maybe it was the only way.  We were just next to the ferry, so he could not have been able to take people over.

I just copied this lovely photo from the Wanadoo page, it's not often we see the "planches" of Deauville like this.

Hi, here in Picardie just a little further North we are not snowed in but it is freezing cold with a light dusting of snow, and so far the roads are not effected.  Not crowing though because winter is not over yet and last year, end of February beginning March, we were snowed in for 5 days.

Don't talk to me about that white stuff!! It took us eleven hours to do a journey that normally takes one and a half hours on Tuesday afternoon/evening!! Five of those hours were spent sitting on the A84!! Good job we had the giant box of Maynards Wine Gums to keep us going - although MOH wasn't very happy that we ate them all as they were one of his Xmas pressies!!  We also watched a couple of films as MOH had the presence of mind to take his portable DVD player with him to keep him occupied on the ferry over to the UK before Xmas. We did get some very strange looks from other drivers though as they were wandering up and down to stretch their legs and have a pee!