Hello everyone

In order to comply with the requirements of my house insurance, I need to have my chimney swept (open-style wood fire not an enclosed wood-burning stove) and a certificate from the chimney sweep to prove this has been done.

Does anyone know a chimney sweep in the Orne region (61) preferably near the town of Flers? My French is not great so if they happen to speak some English it would be most helpful!

Finally, any idea how much it may cost so I know whether I am being charged a fair price?

Thanks a lot [:D]

Carole

We're a bit far away (!) so doubt that any of our local guys would be interested in coming your way, but the going rate down here is €40.

Don't muck around with doing it yourself with all those brico rods etc - at that sort of price, it isn't worth it, because you won't get a certificate.

Dylan

Thanks for the number, they are fairly local to us so I will have to get my dictionary out and rehearse the scene ready for a conversation that they probably won't understand but will give them a laugh anyway!!

Did you get a certificate or something that would satisfy an insurance company? Also, how far in advance did you have to book them?

Carole

we booked the ramonage when m.gaubert came to prepare a devis for some work to our roof, this was in august, but they only start the ramonage in mid october. judging from the last time we had the chimney swept the "certificate" is purely the receipt for the payment which is obviously dated, this is just for insurance purposes.

by the way where are you?

I'm hoping to be able to book him for w/c 30th October but I know that the 1st November is a Bank Holiday so we'll see - you know the French, if it's a Bank Holiday there's no point in working the day before or after a holiday!!

Do you have an open chimney or a wood-burning stove thingy? Just one last question - how much did he cost so that I have an idea of how much he will charge?