After sixteen years farming in Normandy, noses to the grindstone, thoughts are now turning towards retirement and we've long had a hankering to end up in Brittany.  Only trouble is we constantly hear that the Brittany peninsula is now groaning under the weight of so many UK expats that the locals are often pretty unfriendly.  Obviously it's unhelpful to make sweeping statements  - everyone's experience is different but it would be interesting to have any views/opinions on this. I can only too well remember many years ago being an English 'outsider' in Wales. We've had no problems with the locals here having long since proved our bona fide farming credentials - there were one or two in the beginning who thought we'd landed from mars it's true but on the whole no integration difficulties. 

Would love to have your comments.

I too would be very interested in the Brittany viewpoint.  From a more personal viewpoint born and brought up in South Wales.  Had a hell of a problem business wise with my kinfolk in North and West Wales. Been through the nightmare 'you do not speak Welsh as a first language' thus you are not Welsh.

Dealt with that quite easily.

As with everything what you put in you get out.

Suppose I would have a very slight benefit as the Brittany folk  the Welsh  the Irish and the Scots are linked somewhat?

Whatever life is what you make it.

Best of luck

I have lived in Finistere since the end of last year and I love it. The people, culture and coastline!

Most people I have met are friendly and interesting. I found a plumber to be a little bit 'off 'when he was working on my house but he lives in a Brit enclave in the middle of Brittany! ?

The village I live in is just the right size for me, big enough to be fairly anonymous in some ways but small enough to meet people and make friends  [:)] There are no other Brits in the village and although near the coast, its favoured by the Germans and Belgians rather than the South seeking Brits.

The Celtic issue only really appears at festivals  etc, but many Bretons that I have met that go to the UK try and get to Wales too, but it seems to me that they welcome the Brits ( all of us) more than the Parisiens.

[quote user="beryl"]

it seems to me that they welcome the Brits ( all of us) more than the Parisiens.

[/quote]

I think that's called damning with faint praise, Beryl!

I agree that it is where there are enclaves or 'ghettoes' of incomers, particularly second homes or setting up half the village as holiday rentals, that the problems seem to arise; anywhere, not just Brittany; and not just Brits.

There seems to be (judging from a map of expat locations in Brittany ) a lot between Rennes and south of Roscoff, mostly inland. I don't know whether the 'rolled eyes' of ,in all honesty ,just a few French people when talking about these areas is merited or not. As far as I gather, these were areas that were dying and have been rejuvenated so plus points for the Brits but I have heard and have no idea how reliable this is, that the Brits generally don't mix much, speak much French, work either at all or legally etc etc but this may well be an urban myth!

I get the feeling that the Bretons are not condemning these people but just think they are missing out!But I am new here.

What sort of area activities etc are you after in your retirement ?

[quote user="framboise"]Thanks for your very positive response, Beryl. I've never actually been as far as Finistere -sounds wonderful. It would be interesting to know just where the Brit enclaves were so as to avoid them! [/quote]

Mainly central Brittany. Callac, Corlay, Carhaix, Rostrenen, Gourin etc....[;-)]

I think Finisterre is undrated by Brits and well worth a look - as far as I know there are quite a lot of Brits around Fouesnant (spelling ) which is sort of south of Quimper but I have never met any and its near  the area I visit most.........

Depending on where you are there is Brest, or Lorient (further but on a good road) for flights home. Roscoff or further St Malo for the ferry.

Is the Celtic connection strongly recognised within the Breton people? We are looking to move from Ireland and the kids have very strong celtic connections themselves coming as we do from a rural area in so far as language,culture and history are concerned....me however am the odd one out as I am a dyed in the wool Englishman.[:$]

First post ...Great forum b.t.w.

True Bretons seem fiercely proud of their Celtic heritage. On holiday in Perros Guirec last year (on a camp site full of Brits) we met a group of local Breton seamen celebrating the end of the holiday season in a loud, tuneful fashion. It was quite amusing to see the Brits watching from the sidelines in silence. After chatting to one of the seamen and mentioning my parents were Welsh (father) and Irish (mother) I was welcomed into the fold in a very liquid fashion! (I seem to remember finding my legs could not communicate with my brain by the end of the night-resulting in  a long erratic walk back at the end of the night)

Dean.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="legs_akimbo"]

Is the Celtic connection strongly recognised within the Breton people? We are looking to move from Ireland and the kids have very strong celtic connections themselves coming as we do from a rural area in so far as language,culture and history are concerned[/quote]

Thus far we have found it extremely positive although we only live there for part of the year at the moment. We're both Irish and at the very least it's an ice-breaker. However after that you have to stand on your own two feet i.e. if you're decent to the neighbours, it is usually reciprocated. Like anywhere I suppose!

K & P