Drove through here yesterday for the first time.  Looked really nice and worth going back for another visit.  Does anyone know when market day is there and also if the depot ventes are open this time of year?  I noticed 2 on my way through.  Have exshausted the one's close to home!  The one at Bayeaux is charging ridiculous prices for absolute rubbish (and what is that awful smell at the back of the shop? [+o(] )  and the one at La Haye du Puits doesn't seem to have as much stuff as they used to.  In fact, when I was there last week, I wondered if they were shutting down! 

[quote user="Cassis"](hence les poêles).

[/quote]

'God's town of the frying pans' [:)]   We bought our copper pans from there twelve years ago and they're still going strong and have pride of place in our kitchen - though other half nearly had palpitations when we bought them and the woman in the shop told him the price!!

Kathie

Well then it's definitely lunch in the Hotel St Pierre (more atmosphere than the more expensive Fruitier) followed by a visit to any one of the many copper shops to buy a whole set of pans [:-))]  Make sure you get the stainless steel lined ones and not the tin lined ones - well over twice the price but last a lifetime.  The tin (or whatever it is) comes off very quickly![kiss]

[quote user="St Amour"]Well then it's definitely lunch in the Hotel St Pierre (more atmosphere than the more expensive Fruitier) followed by a visit to any one of the many copper shops to buy a whole set of pans [:-))]  Make sure you get the stainless steel lined ones and not the tin lined ones - well over twice the price but last a lifetime.  The tin (or whatever it is) comes off very quickly![kiss][/quote]

We bought the stainless steel lined ones - though as I recall the woman in the shop looked at us rather askance when we asked for them!  Maybe most customers buy the tin?  I know the tin ones are preferred by chefs but then they need 'retinning' periodically which can end up costing a lot more in the long term.  I like cooking but am not that much of a devotee [;-)]

Kathie

[quote user="hastobe"][quote user="St Amour"]Well then it's definitely lunch in the Hotel St Pierre (more atmosphere than the more expensive Fruitier) followed by a visit to any one of the many copper shops to buy a whole set of pans [:-))]  Make sure you get the stainless steel lined ones and not the tin lined ones - well over twice the price but last a lifetime.  The tin (or whatever it is) comes off very quickly![kiss][/quote]

We bought the stainless steel lined ones - though as I recall the woman in the shop looked at us rather askance when we asked for them!  Maybe most customers buy the tin?  I know the tin ones are preferred by chefs but then they need 'retinning' periodically which can end up costing a lot more in the long term.  I like cooking but am not that much of a devotee [;-)]

Kathie
[/quote]

That's strange, I'd always heard the opposite and in fact that the tin ones are really only the preferred option as Cassis says, for ornamental purposes.

[quote user="St Amour"]Well then it's definitely lunch in the Hotel St Pierre (more atmosphere than the more expensive Fruitier) followed by a visit to any one of the many copper shops to buy a whole set of pans [:-))]  Make sure you get the stainless steel lined ones and not the tin lined ones - well over twice the price but last a lifetime.  The tin (or whatever it is) comes off very quickly![kiss][/quote]

I've stayed and eaten in both ,THE FRUITIER and the  ST PIERRE.   The rooms and the food in the FRUITIER are superior but not expensive ;

Double room 60 euros

Dinner 15 / 21 /28 euros your choice, and beatifully presented.

Leo 

I agree I think (but of course it is personal choice) that Fruitier is the better of the two.  We have been going there for years on special occasions and went again last Saturday with my brother and his wife they looked after us so well and the food was just wonderful.

Their menu at mid day are certainly not expensive.

[quote user="St Amour"]

[quote user="hastobe"][quote user="St Amour"]Well then it's definitely lunch in the Hotel St Pierre (more atmosphere than the more expensive Fruitier) followed by a visit to any one of the many copper shops to buy a whole set of pans [:-))]  Make sure you get the stainless steel lined ones and not the tin lined ones - well over twice the price but last a lifetime.  The tin (or whatever it is) comes off very quickly![kiss][/quote]

Kathie

[/quote]

That's strange, I'd always heard the opposite and in fact that the tin ones are really only the preferred option as Cassis says, for ornamental purposes.

[/quote]

Its to do with the heat conduction properties...http://www.frenchcopperstudio.com/faq.html

Kathie

[quote user="LEO"]

I've stayed and eaten in both ,THE FRUITIER and the  ST PIERRE.   The rooms and the food in the FRUITIER are superior but not expensive ;

Double room 60 euros

Dinner 15 / 21 /28 euros your choice, and beatifully presented.

Leo 

[/quote]

Can't comment on the rooms, I've never stayed in either.  I would have expected the Fruitier to be better, although a regular B&B guest of ours describes them as "clean, basic but adequate" but what more should you expect from a 2 star hotel [:D]  As for the food being "superior" I  have to disagree.  I think that  really comes down to taste and style - the Fruitier is more, to use an outdated phrase "nouveau cuisine" in it's style, which is a style we don't like but all I can say is although perhaps more "homely" or "rustic" I've NEVER had a bad meal at the St Pierre.  Have had a couple of mediochre ones at the Fruitier.

However, if you say the dinner menu is 15/21 or 28 euros, then I clearly haven't looked for a while and it's probably too close to call on the price difference.

St Amout as you rightly say its down to taste style and lots of other ingredients on that particular day.  However I cannot truly say that Fruitier is anything less than a balanced menu.  Last week my brother had braised pork hock and I do not think that equates to novelle cuisine.  I had oysters to start then belle sole then Normandie cheeses so is that too novelle cuisine.  Indeed I almost fell down the stairs at the St Pierre and that was without drink so I think their stairs are quite dangerous.  However in saying all of that their midday menu at 12.50 is very good value and very good quality.

Finally and here I am probably going to get some stick but very recently I went to St Pois and had lunch in that famous restaurant near by.  It was so good that I have forgotten its name.  With wine it came to 240 euros for four of us.  It was a special occasion but I did not rate the food.

I now I have said finally before but some locals have pointed us in the direction of Ste Cecile just outside Villedieu either on the Vire or the St Sever road and to the routier there.  If you are not there by 11.55 you do not get in its packed every lunchtime.  Also the very nice lady repeats menus based on the same principle every evening save for Saturday and Sunday It is very good value for money.