We have bought vehicles using the dealer's own credit company and no problems but then we are tax resident here which makes life easier. For a business this is the preferred way of buying a vehicle because of the allowances given each year for depreciation etc and of course,you cannot just go and buy a vehicle here with a big wad of cash because it has to be reported,so most folks private and business do a finance deal over 3 to 5 years depending on how much you can afford monthly. If you are resident in France you bank also does finance packages and I bought my car that way affordably too but you do have to supply proof of wages or previous year's accounts in our case.

We have bought a couple of cars over the last 6 years, both from our local Renault dealer.  No problems getting financing from the garage, although the bank would also have given us a loan.  Very quick, hassle free application, but again we were living and working here in France.

I forgot to mention also that we got our reply within ten minutes of asking at the bank, he told us to get off quick and choose one and then bring the papers  back asap to process. Bit different to how I remember getting loans back in the UK many years ago now when you had to wait ages and ages for any definate answer. Don't forget too that in France you cannot borrow more than you can repay one third of your monthly income.