Hi - I wonder if any of you foodies can give me any recommendations.   I am taking my 80 year old Dad through the Channel Tunnel on Saturday - (his birthday wish) and I thought it would be nice to go to Boulogne for a late lunch on Saturday - but the question is where to go?  I went to the old town a year or so ago and ate at a lovely restaurant - so I am looking for somewhere either in the Old Town or a nice restaurant anywhere near. 

He's not a fussy eater and likes just good old plain food (and Moules) also I am taking my 3 kids (who eat everything and I mean everything!).  Any suggestions greatfully received have seen La Pierre Chaude on the internet and La Belle Barbue anyone tried these.  Thanks in advance - Paula

Hi Saturday is market day so beware.  Some years ago about four we had a lovely lunch just up the road from Boulogne towards Calais is it Willmiroux or something like that it was quite good.  Sorry not much help but around the famous cheese place next to the Metropole Hotel there are lots of very good fish restaurants and where the market is held there are mainly middle of the road restaurants My Michelin lists Matelote with one star and now having read it I have had a wonderful meal at the Hostellerie de la Riviere and which is five km from town.

However the old town as you say has lots of opportunities.

Thanks to all who replied - we had a fantastic day (even though it was wet and blustery!), we ended up having a fab meal in the Pierre Chaud on the Rue de Lille in the old town - they were really lovely, welcoming and friendly and made all feel pleased to be there.  Thanks for the recomendations we will certainly try them when we are passing through - down to the South West.  Much apprecaited - Paula x 

The Matelote is v. nice if you are into fish. The hotel is good also. We generally stay there on the way to/from Normandy. My wife says she feels more comfortable staying there on her own than in many other hotels due to the "family" feel of the place. (they also have draft Warsteiner).

Sorry Paula, I missed your initial query but all ended well as I was going to confirm that we have eaten at La Pierre Chaude a couple of times, following a recommendation from a French B&B owner that we stayed with a few years ago, and it was very good.

No Dick, it's not in a courtyard, it's halfway up the main drag of the old town.