Dick is the one out in the country near to Brecey?  Or have I got it wrong.  That too was a 'Moulin' but we did not enjoy ourselves and the bill for four of us was well over 250 euros.  That restaurant had a connection with Jean Pierre Novelli (I think).  In any event our views as to the meal do not necessarily mean that those views accord with others.

rdgs

Menu greedy 31 €

What's wrong with that [:)]

Cooked and believed asparaguses....................

Well at least they have owned up to being such

Net of farm pig of Mr. Bouillon...........................Wonder if Mr Bouillon knows his pig has done a runner and left his net ?

Jumped vegetables with vintage........................Is that an ancient tradition in Normandy, leaping over the veg ?

Inspiration of the head.....................................Mmm, we've seen from Jamie Oliver what school meals are like.

Seriously, it looks a nice place and if I were you Dick, why not offer him a proper translation or do you think they want it to come across funny ? I have always wondered about that [:)]

Bjs - that menu is truly amazing. There are enough English speakers in the area who could have translated it properly for them, but that would remove some of the attraction. I am sure the English versions of the menu they used to hand to diners were somewhat more accurate than that.

We have eaten there many times, mostly excellent, though a Dutch friend and I did each have a very poor piece of lamb there once, and another friend with a holiday home nearby says he had a bad meal. We haven't been since it changed - perhaps we should.

The one near Brecey is the Moulin de Jean. It was indeed started by Jean-Christophe, the idea being that he would install one of his protégé chefs in there, and it would provide an interest and an income for his parents. Oddly enough his parents weren't interested, so when JC got into financial difficulties with his English restaurants, he sold the Moulin to said chef, Jean-Marie L'Enfant and his front-of-house business partner. The standard is very high, very Novelli, and although it's not the sort of place you could eat every day, it really is amazingly good value. Its at www.lemoulindejean.com Another benefit is that it is open every day of the week, midday and evening, and has just had a new kitchen extension built - things could get a bit fraught in J-C's original one. Also, one of Judie's rescued cats was 'borrowed' from there; she had taken up residence outside the kitchens but the restaurant cats did not welcome the interloper, so we had an extra passenger on the way back.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]It's in or near Brouins, near to Sourdeval. I think Catalpa may be local.

[/quote]

I am.

It's on the river near the
Ecomusée on the D911 near Brouains - but not in Brouains which is half-way up the hill from the valley road. We still haven't got around to going there since it changed hands. It now does a very good value lunchtime menu too, we're told. We have cause for celebration coming up in a few weeks time so I think we'll get organised and go. If only to demand a copy of that menu. [:P]

Edit:

I've just had a look at the online English menu. Some of the translations are beyond bizarre. There's a strange reference to a dish featuring a Tepid Mrs Lemoine... but I know we'd all be choosing:
Juice of bone to the andouille skin. [+o(]

The menu is unbelievable!

Escalope of foie gras of tepid Mrs. Lemoine been useful,

On one compotée of cherry to the balsamic vinegar.      15.00 €

What?

Have you noticed that there is a €31 'Greedy' menu, only in English?

Can anyone help with 'believed ham'? The English and French menus just don't correspond!

No, they don't. There's an excellent small enterprise poultry producer at Beauficel (maybe 3 kms away) who does sublime foie gras - and she is Marylene Lemoine. So I would guess that she supplies the foie gras... but how does it get included in the English menu when it isn't in the French version. [8-)]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]

Can anyone help with 'believed ham'?

[/quote]

possibly "veritable" ?

Actually I think it's all probably an inspired marketing ploy - we'll certainly be going!

It's the best laugh I've had for ages - just when I needed one - thanks!

Anyone remember Gerard Hoffnung's letters from patrons of hotels and inns?

• "Our motto is Serves you right
  • Here you will be well fed up
  • Every room has a French widow affording delightful prospects

I'm afraid its a terrible warning to anyone tempted to translate from English to French using Google.

You can guess what has happened. The website creator translated an initial  menu for them, and they now  keep the French menu up to date, but the English menu is preserved in aspirin, or should that be aspic?

Some of the errors are quite easy to work backwards

greedy menu  (menu gourmande)

inspiration of the head (L'inspiration du Chef)

jumped vegetables (Sautee..... )

But I'm a bit worried about click on the pictures for an enlargement, its a bit too close to all those dodgy emails I have to delete every day.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

But I'm a bit worried about click on the pictures for an enlargement, its a bit too close to all those dodgy emails I have to delete every day.

[/quote]

The emails I get tell me I have to buy tablets for an enlargement...

It's just occurred to me that most of the words that the robot translator has trouble with don't really need translation at all, because English has borrowed them from French - gourmande/gourmet, chef, sautée, porc etc.

Mind you, the last time we were there there were four 'English' tables and one 'French' table.

We went last November, after the new owners took over. We thought the food was very good.  We went at lunchtime but did not have the basic lunch menu.  We did not spot all these egregious mistakes as we were given a menu in French.

Next time we might ask for the English menu just for the fun of it!

H.