After a lot of thought we are now teetering on the edge of moving to the Brittany/Normandy border area. Our house has been valued and awaits a call to put it on the market.

We are both in our 50's and this must be the hardest decision we have ever made. We won't need to work but will keep occupied.

The pro's vastly outweigh the con's, even to missing seeing the four grandchildren on a regular basis.

Anyone else 'just done it' ? On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult was it? Lots of people do it so it can't be that hard ?

We are convinced about this but will become homeless for a time, I think that is the hardest thing to accept.

Any views please. I know this feeling must be a common one

Andycap.Woot! [:-))]

My own personal bandwagon:  Are you certain that you have your health insurance covered?  As you are retiring early, you will need full private healthcover once your E106s (UK cover) run out - normally 30 months after you gave up work - until you have either been here 5 years or reached UK state retirement age - whichever is the sooner.

This is something you really must be sure of before you take the plunge.  For further info' you can visit our website (below) - a purely voluntary effort btw and not funded or backed by any commercial interests!

EDIT: On a less cautious note, we have never regretted it for a second but some certainly have.  I think the grandchildren thing (which is not an issue for us as we have no kids) is a real deal breaker for many.