Hi         [:D]

I have lived in France for two years - and love it - my husband has to work in UK unfortunatly - l live in region 14 not far from Vire are there any 40-50-60 somethings out here who get together for a chat ect. if so drop me line.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello there,

My wife and I are thinking of moving to France but we just cant seem to take the plunge we have been learning the laguage but are worried about earning a living and what happens to our U.K pension I have just turned 50 so I am worried about the financial side of things,any positive comments would be greatly appreciated.Eddie

Generally speaking unless you have a very specific skill which is in demand, and speak reasonably fluent Franch, then you will find it very difficult if not impossible to find work here.

Under the current rules your health needs may be covered for up to 2.5 years by an E106 after which you will have to take out private insurance until you have been resident for an uninterrupted period of 5 years, uninterrupted meaning no breaks of longer than 3 months - I think - but somebody might confirm or correct that.

As for UK pensions, you will still qualify for those when you reach the neccessary age and also for any annual rises. This presupposes that you have, or will have, paid the neccessary NI contributions.

Sorry if this not all positive but better to know how it really is [blink]

Hi Eddie,

You're correct that you'll need to be sure of an adequate income once you move to France, especially as you'll need to factor in health insurance between expiry of E106 and entitlement to E121 at pension age  or once you've lived in France for 5 years (unless you receive Incapacity Benefit which would entitle you to an E121 straight away).

Your UK state pension wouldn't be affected by your move to France as long as you've already paid enough years in (20 I think).

Good luck!

Cheryl (also in Villedieu!)

NI contributions for 30 years, not 20, for full UK state pension.  You can make voluntary contributions if you're short.  Get a forecast from the DWP overseas office.

But they'll probably do away with the pension before you are entitled to it, so it's academic. [Www]

This thread's taken a bit of a swerve after being bizarrely heaved up from the grave, hasn't it?

Got any decent pots, Cheryl?  Have the bells driven you mad? [:D]