Moving to Limousin,Can anyone help?

Hi.Moving to the Limousin region in the near future.Hoping to go over in May to have a good look around the areas.Not sure if we would like to live in a village or a town.Would like some advise regarding the cost of living, the climate in the winter months and generally would love to hear from expats living out there.There are so many questions and things to look into its mind blowing.Trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.Do most of the villages have Banking facilities? Thankyou.Would very much appreciate your replys.!

Hi there

We moved to France Dec 16th 04 - Dept 87 near to Aixe sur Vienne which is a small town but with all the usual facilities. We are about 16km south of Limoges which is a lovely city. The weather since we have been here has been rainy, cold and snowy but we love it. When we came to look in the summer the weather was lovely and hot. I can recommend a good agent in Liomoges who speaks English if you are interested. We are about 5km from Aixe but have 2 mobile shops visit every week which sell cheese, bread, cakes, eggs etc. We both took early retirement in the UK and are not planning to work in France.

Ena Jackson

Hi there,

we moved to limousin a year ago, it is a wonderful place to live although very rural but if you have a car you are driving distence of the major towns of limoge and Potiers all within 1 hour, we can help you and give you our personal experiences some are quite funny now but weren't at the time, I run a B and b and get alot of house hunters as we are right in the middle to view all of Limousin but also Potiou-charente, its nice to live away from it all in the summer, however I would suggest you get somewhere on the outskirts of a town or village then you have the best of both worlds and its nice to think you can walk to the nearest pub, shop, etc in the winter. the weather here can get hot in the summer but not unbearable like further down south and you can get alot of thunderstorms especially at night.  Its best to come over and view houses and look at the facilities near the houses, have a list of your requirements. And view about one or two a day no more or you will get bogged down and confused, when you go to view spend some time in the local village town get a beer meal etc, get afeel for the place, cos some places are fine for a holiday but would you want to live there, especially when your used to Asda down the road and shopping centres etc, you dont miss them till their gone! dont get me wrong they are here but often a hours drive away! hope this helps alittle

liz x

www.holidaybandb-limousin.com

As regards banking, consider La Poste.  They have a branch in almost every village in France (though obviously not in hamlets) and I've found them very friendly and, if not exactly efficient, at least less inefficient than some of the better known banks.  They offer a full banking service.

We have had our campsite here for 4 years now. Had very few problems setting up bank account, health cover, other services etc with just a little guidance from our french or british locals. The local french have been so friendly and helpful and we feel as much if not more at home here than in the UK.

Most important places are within easy driving distance and the driving here is so much more pleasant than the UK with little traffic and usually well maintained roads. Banks are in most towns, we use Credit Agricole, and bank cards can be used to get cash from the bank machines, usually 24/7, or from cash machines at most large supermarkets. The weather has been a trifle variable like most of europe recently, 2003 started wet and warm, moved on to hot and sunny for the summer and a superb hot sunny autumn followed by a mild winter. 2004 very nice April and May, June damp and mild, July and August just acceptable for summer and Sept/October hot and sunny. This winter had been quite mild until 2 weeks ago when we had nearly a foot of snow ( fortunately accompanied by sunshine most of ther time) followed by a couple of nights minus 10 degrees C. But during the day the sun makes it like a late spring day. generally, the weatehr changes quickly with Xmas morning starting cloudy and frosty but by 11AM sitting on the terrace in the sun drinking spiced hot wine.

A dull day can end up glorious and vice versa.

Whatever the weather, the style of living mellows it. Whilst our campsite is small, only 8 pitches, in the past 18 months over 20 of our visitors have ended up buying properties here, 12 to live permanently and the rest as holiday homes.

Three of the permanent have moved here to give their children a better life.

Neither of us has very good french but it gets better each day and we have found coping in a strange country quite fun and nowhere as difficult as they would have you believe if you have half a brain.

If you would like to ask any specific questions, please feel free to give us a ring or email. www.leschenauds.com

We wouldn,t go back.

Can you not get out there now?? I'd recommend going ASAP before the mad summer rush. You can bet that after the TV programme last week, it will be on the up and up. It is also a good place to see in winter,,,if you like the place then, you'll love it in Summer.

Some friends of ours kept putting it off anf putting it off and in the end, priced themselves out of buying and lost the real drive to do it.

Hi.Moving to the Limousin region in the near future.Hoping to go over in May to have a good look around the areas.

Personally I'd go, even for only a week or so, NOW, to get a look at it in winter, and to avoid the inevitable rush and price rise that summer will bring.

The Limousin is huge........it has 3 departments, hundreds of towns and villages, and quite a few micro-climates. You need to do a bit more research on the net and try to narrow down your search, or you'll have insufficient time, and end up frustrated and with nowt!

Not sure if we would like to live in a village or a town.

Village: less facilities, lower prices, some travelling for food etc, more likely to find a property with it's own garden if that's important?

Town: opposite of above

Would like some advise regarding the cost of living, the climate in the winter months and generally would love to hear from expats living out there.

Can't help much with the first, our property is just a holiday home at the mo

Climate: there are MANY micro-climates, I found info on them at www.meteo.fr, but I can't remember EXACTLY where on that site, and it's in French.

There are so many questions and things to look into its mind blowing.Trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.Do most of the villages have Banking facilities?

Agreed, do as much research as you can, even the scenery changes as you move about the Limousin, and not just a little!

We chose a bank BEFORE going, based on usage in our camping days, and have been happy. It does have a tiny branch  that opens two afternoons a week in our nearest small town, but our actual branch is 30 miles.

Alcazar

"Hi.Moving to the Limousin region in the near future.Hoping to go over in May to have a good look around the areas."

People talk of the limousin as if it were an english county, its more the size of Wales. I would try and narrow it down a bit, choose maybe just one of the departments. That will take enough of your time.

"Not sure if we would like to live in a village or a

town"

France has a wide variety of "settlements". Starts off with house in middle of no where. OK if you want isolation. Next is the hameaux or hamlet, anything up to twenty or so houses, often with no shops or bar, but at least you have neighbours. Then you have the Commune/village usually around 40 to 50 houses responsible for a number of hamlets and probably has a shop and bar. Next a proper village populations a couple of thousand tops, usually with a number of shops, possibly a bank, a few bars. Then small town 5000 to 10000 with most amenities, super markets, bricomarche etc. Finally the larger towns (cities?) usually the department capital with population usually above 20,000. These have all the big stores, hypermarkets etc.

You take your choice..... However most of the time you can be within 40 mins of these larger places from anywhere in the region.

Happy hunting

Bob

Cheers folks,

Managed to book for tomorrow. What with valentines and UK half term the fares are horrendous for new next week or two.

I'll be intrigued to see how succesful the Liverpool flights are. I've not met that many people in the region from the north of England. But Ryanair don't often get it wrong when identifying new routes.

The ten minute trip to Liverpool will be fantastic for us, although the summer prices mean it will probably be a spring and autumn route for us.

Prices of around £150 per person or higher plus car hire means the £50 returns on hoverspeed are irresistable.

Bob

And I can't wait for them to start flying to France from Doncaster, (Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield ), as I'm sure they will in the future, especially as places like Stansted get more and more crowded.

A little bird told me that Mr O'Leary is allegedly already dissatisfied with Dublin, as it's too crowded for him, and is making noises there.

We shall see.

Alcazar

It must be the TV programmes about Limousin but we have already had caravaners and B&B guests this year and our booking are climbing steadily. The visitors this week have just put deposits on two properties which will bring our total of visitors who have purchased sinc jan 2003 to 25. Gotta be something going for this part of Limousin.

www.leschenauds.com

• 3 weeks later...
Hello we are one of the families who les chenauds mentioned who moved her perminently to give our 3 kids  (and ourselves a better life!) its late tonight! but just a few words everything is great a few rough times but so many good times would never go back want to know more pm us we will give the the gory details!!!!!!!!!!1 good luck

Andy & Denise

How's your research going into moving to the Limousin.

We moved on 1st July 2004 to Arnac Pompadour (Correze 19) and are loving it.  

Have a look at www.francehouses.com .  Dutch owned, but speaks excellent English.  We e-mailed the owner with the dates we were coming over and he arranged a whole day of viewings for us.  He also helped us through the purchase process and came with us to the Notaires to translate for us when we finally went to collect the keys. 

There are quite a few ex-pats out here.  If you're in the neighbourhood when you next come over, let us know and we'll meet up for a drink (or two).

Jan

Why not look slightly further afield? We are in the Auvergne which is (IMO) even more rugged and beautiful than Limousin, and the property is cheaper too.

We also have a choice of flying to Limoges or St Etienne which makes flights easier (and cheaper) to arrange.

Just a thought...!