French lessons

Having recently moved to Correze from Charente we would like to continue improving our French. I can't find any classes public or private locally. I even asked the maire. Are there so few English around that it is not worthwhile putting on courses or are they all so fluent that there is no need? We live 20min north of Brive and anywhere within reasonable driving distance would be good.

Don't know if this will be of any use, but there is a lady, Francoise Gallacher (married to an Englishman) who lives in Lubersac and she is just starting her business teaching French on a one-to-one basis or small group (no more than 6).  She will be charging 12 Euros per hour.  Not sure if this will be too far away for you, but I'll let you have her phone number if you are interested.

I had a long chat with her on the phone a couple of weeks ago and her English is extremely good.  She will be teaching at different levels (me, I'm a complete beginner).  I'm hopefully starting with her soon.

Jan

[quote]Having recently moved to Correze from Charente we would like to continue improving our French. I can't find any classes public or private locally. I even asked the maire. Are there so few English arou...[/quote]

Hi Saddie,

Have you tried to your local M.I.L (Maison des Initiatives Locales)?

I believe there is one in every large village, ours also houses the ANPE and the Croix Rouge. I was able to enroll in 2 computer courses at MIL and the Croix Rouge has a French Language course called "Lire et Dire" it was originally started to help French people with reading an writing difficulties but now is mainly for foreigners, usually British. There is no charge for these courses as they are funded by the European Union.

I had to travel to the nearest town for the French classes but only because I was the only one in the village who wanted them and they said they would require a minimum of 3 people.

The Croix Rouge holds a weekly get together for coffee and a chat about local events, problems etc. They also provide help with letter writing: Official complaints, CV's, Lettres de motivation and the like. It's a great way to meet and introduce yourself to some of the locals.

• 2 weeks later...
if you are resident and can provide an "attestation de droit de securitie sociale" then you qualify for free lessons from the APP. (ateliers de pedagogue personal or something like that... look up APP on pages jaune)

OH started this morning - 3 hours twice a week, not to be sneezed at!!

hoverfrog (87)

Hello,

There is a new course of French classes starting in Objat about now, details probably available from the Mairie, or from the International section of the College. There are 2 levels in 2 groups. If you cant find any information, email me and I will give you the phone number of someone who attends. They started off last year being free, funded by EU money, but started charging after Easter.

I used to go, but now have a coffee with a friend once a week,  and she gives me an `impromptu` french lesson.

Aileen

Ps We are in Vigeois, where are you ?

Hi David and Aileen

We are in Perpezac le Noir.   Rte de Vigeois actually. Lovely area.

Hi to SuninFrance

We will  be at the triathlon at Poncharal as MOH Ron (racing snake) is keen on cyclisme.

I have told him wearing a tee shirt with "Lance Armstrong is innocent" is probably not a good idea.

Perhaps we could all wear pink carnations or something. Other than that we are in our 50s (ouch) both tall and obviously English. Ron is the one with the beard and I am the one with the glasses.

[quote]Hi David and Aileen We are in Perpezac le Noir. Rte de Vigeois actually. Lovely area. Hi to SuninFrance We will be at the triathlon at Poncharal as MOH Ron (racing snake) is keen on cyclisme. I...[/quote]

Hello all,

Love the Lance Armstrong T shirt, from what we know of the people of Vigeois, they would laugh their socks off. Rugby is the passion here, we hung a welsh flag from our window during the 6 Nations, and had evryone cheering.

So the Triathlon could be quite a get together, I can imagine various english people tapping unsuspecting `others` on the shoulder, and smiling broadly, to be greeted by blank stares.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Aileen 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]if you are resident and can provide an "attestation de droit de securitie sociale" then you qualify for free lessons from the APP. (ateliers de pedagogue personal or something like that... look up APP...[/quote]

Hi Hoverfrog

I see you are in 87. Can you tell me where your OH is taking the lessons?

Thanks