Complete Tax Form 1st Time

Gite Lady

[quote user="Gite Lady"]We need to complete the Forms 2042/2042C (Tax Office gave us 2012?) [/quote]

The most recent forms (for 2013 income) have only just been sent out (we received ours today) so if you are a first-timer then it is logical that the tax office would give you the form they had to hand when you asked, viz the 2013 form to cover 2012 income.

Welcome to France; you might find that things are done slightly differently to what you are used to.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone any idea where / how I can find the pound / euro exchange rate that should be used on the tax forms to convert UK interest / dividends for the latest tax returns. ?

Similarly, a question about 'quarterly income bonds' - I ''believe'' that the income should be included as 'interest' - is my belief true? Surely there are other people in the British immigrant community that have income from such bonds.

We have been going round in circles this morning with the tax forms. ie, 2042 or 2042 C, 2047 or 2047 K or what. The 3916 is another nightmare - there is not sufficient space to list all the foreign bank accounts - will a separate sheet be accepted and if so what info should it contain ?

More questions than answers at the moment - I am losing the will to live !!!!!!!!!!!

Use whatever exchange rate you can justify if challenged !

The correct procedure is to use the date you received the income - not when you transferred it - and if you do that then averages do not even come into it.

The only time to use an average is if your local tax office post one and it works to your advantage over the precise calculation you yourself have come up with. That's what I do.

A separate sheet of paper listing your foreign accounts will suffice for the 3916. All you need put is the bank name and address and the account name and No.. You do not need to give any information about balances.

That's all I've done for the last 6 years and it'd never been questioned.

No idea about bonds.

I do the same as AnOther for exchange rate and report bank details using these headings:

INTITULÉ DU COMPTE (account holder)

NUMÉRO DE COMPTE (account number)

CARACTÉRISTIQUES (account type e.g. current/savings single/joint)

(ordinaire/épargne simple/joint)

DÉSIGNATION DE L'ÉTABLISSEMENT, ADRESSE (bank sort code, name & address)

DATE D'OUVERTURE/CLOTURE (date the account was opened or closed – can be approximate)

I have always reported bond income as interest, but they may have been a different type of bond. Is there any life insurance associated with your income bonds? If so, it is possible that they may be equivalent to a French Assurance Vie.

Another basic question - unfortunately.

Form 2047. It does not have '' declarent 1 and declarent 2 '' sections ( as 2042 does ). Does this mean that each person, ie husband and wife have to complete a copy each, with interest / dividends split between the two ?

Or

Is it the MCP French way of assuming that all non-pension income is down to the '' Head of the household '' ( ie the husband ) ?

I realise that this question ''may'' confuse some people but '' we '' are a partnership with joint accounts, joint investments etc and all income is '' ours'' not mine or hers etc.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Another basic question - unfortunately. Form 2047. It does not have '' declarent 1 and declarent 2 '' sections ( as 2042 does ). Does this mean that each person, ie husband and wife have to complete a copy each, with interest / dividends split between the two ? Or Is it the MCP French way of assuming that all non-pension income is down to the '' Head of the household '' ( ie the husband ) ? I realise that this question ''may'' confuse some people but '' we '' are a partnership with joint accounts, joint investments etc and all income is '' ours'' not mine or hers etc.[/quote]

Just the one form, with all joint income lumped together. Since you are taxed as a household, it doesn't matter who earns what for this type of income.

The 2047 provides separate declarants for pensions income.