Any experience of a DAB/ATM failing to deliver your withdrawal?

mint

Sweets, if the withdrawal appears on your bank statement, then I am not sure you have a leg left to stand on, unfortunately.

This case is of course made more difficult because two banks are involved. Please do not imagine that the bank whose machine you used is teloing the truth; lying is what they do, quite happily!

[quote user="woolybanana"]Sweets, if the withdrawal appears on your bank statement, then I am not sure you have a leg left to stand on, unfortunately.

This case is of course made more difficult because two banks are involved. Please do not imagine that the bank whose machine you used is teloing the truth; lying is what they do, quite happily![/quote]

Well, it's no longer just about the money.  At the very least, I am going to rattle their cages.

This afternoon, I am writing to my own bank and copying the letter to the Banque Tarneaud in town.  I shall say that we are not satisfied with their answer and that we are disgusted by their implication that we had lied.

I shall also tell them that I intend to take out a claim against both banks in the small claims court and that we have no intention of rester tranquillement until we have pursued this matter for as long and as far as we need to.

I shall write it in my direct English way of writing French and hope that their pride at the very least will be "oh dear I can probably not write the p word that I mean"! 

[quote user="idun"]I must agree with wooly, we have had much lies along with inefficiency from the variety of french banks we have used.  However, I thought that they often had cameras at these machines.

[/quote]

Would be good if they HAD cameras, then they will be able to see that we didn't have any bloody money!

• 1 month later...
Thought I'd give a bit of an update as someone might be interested but I still don't know if it will help anybody!

I did write along the lines of my previous post immediately above this one.  I was so impressed by idun's comment that this was either fraud or theft that I said just that in the letter and that I intended to find out which it was. 

Anyway, a reply came back along slightly more conciliatory lines and giving me the address of the mediator in Paris.  Still Banque Postale mind you but a higher authority I suppose.

After thinking about it, I felt I had to give them a chance to put things right.  So I wrote to Paris and I repeated that I wasn't satisfied, that I intended to pursue this matter to the end, even if I had to take them to court.  I also asked whether there wasn't a security camera for the clients' protection?  Thanks, idun, for that one.

Finally, I pointed out that I only used the other bank's ATM because their own ATM was en panne that afternoon.  Hah, I thought, he could at least go and find out about his ATM not working on a Saturday afternoon?

The mediator has sent the usual acknowledgement, claiming that he will now make his own enquiries.  So, 3 months down the line, no refund, no apology and I bet it's already cost them more than 200€ in staff time writing me letters and presumably contacting the other bank for information.

I suppose they can't just pay people money that they claim they haven't received though in the UK they seem to do exactly that as they have a Banking Code that stipulates the conditions for reimbursement of clients' money.

I suppose that the lesson I have learned from this is that IF ever the money I asked for does not come out of a cash machine in France, I would report it directly to the police/gendarmes and do a porte plainte immediately.

Now, they probably would say that I couldn't but I think,  I would cause such a fuss that something would have to be registered about the whole affair.

This simply is not on, at all. All this time and you have not got your money back.

....which, in my tiny neck of the woods, presents another significant problem, as the Gendarmerie is only open on 29th of February, or on Wednesday mornings when there isn't an "r" in the month....

I'm only exaggerating slightly, but AFAIK our gendarmerie, built all brand new and spiffy about five or six years ago, is only actually open on two mornings a week.

Sweets, what have I missed? You have a new nom de plume.

I suppose one could write a play........ The Reluctant Policeman........... a rather sweet and yet tragic story about well armed men (usually) being hidden away in their psuedo citadels.  Dim gun-toters, whose whit is not sufficient to realise that their compatriots have the slightest of hopes that they will actually serve them at some point............ and rather more then when there is an F in the month![:(]

Yes, I know all about french police, several experiences with them trying to stir their little brain cells to understand something might vaguely have to do with them, which it always did. And yet, IF this happened, I would make them at least take a report.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]

Sweets, what have I missed? You have a new nom de plume.

[/quote]

Well, Betty, what it is is that I am no longer in 17 and Sweet 24 doesn't quite have the same ring.  Also, not many people realised that the name Sweet was meant to be ironic!

I thought of calling myself "all grown up now" except that I don't feel like a proper grown-up (or une grande personne) as I am often at sea about things that an adult person would have no problems with.

After I banked the loot from our house in 17, I thought I liked the ambiguity of Mint as mint is, of course, just another sweet (bonbon) and I was waiting for Wooly to taunt me about selling my chateau and now no longer down on my uppers (lovely expression, that).  However, he hasn't made any of his sarcastic remarks so far [:-))]

Then again, I thought of mint as starting a new life on the forum and elsewhere, as in new coin, new condition, etc.  But please continue to call me Sweets if it feels more familiar [:D]

Id, don't worry, I shall deposer une porte plainte because, after all, I have done two already and am getting to know all the desk staff at the gendarmerie.  As Clair told me at the time, it's good to get the men of arms on your side[:D]