Loire Tour help

Any advice as to an itinerary of three to four days for an oenophile and a garden-lover. (We'll be coming by car from the South-West in early December). We have seen Saumur and therefore the eastern end will be of more interest I think.

We have a chambres d'hotes at the eastern end of the Loire, near to Sancerre and Pouilly sur Loire, there are a lot of things to do this end of the Loire, depends on your interests, wine, cycling, chateaux, fishing, and on etc,

Pm me if you would like our private details,

Re the wine : the Sancerre slopes run down to Menetou Salon, to the west you have Quincy and Reuilly, to the south east of Sancerre you have Pouilly, in the south of the department you have the chateaumeillent area, to the north of Pouilly you also have the Coteaux du Giennois area, all these areas are AOC controlled.

Dont miss the gardens at Aprepmont, and the Chateau at Menetou Salon.

There is also a very famous pottery production at Gien, and for water lovers you have the canal system at Briare where the canal passes over the Loire and then over the Allier at Bec d'Allier

Not forgetting Valençay with it's château and two AOCs, one for wine and one for goat's cheese. Although it's classed as a Loire château, it's a slightly tenuous link! The town is also the site of a memorial to the SOE agents killed during WW2, and has a motor museum, if you're interested in that sort of thing, mainly French vehicles but with a BSA motorbike.

FairyNuff

[kiss]

Trouble is Chateau de Valencay is shut at the time they are coming, like most other things in the area. Guess that's why not many people have responded. Gardens will be bare and attractions will be generally shut.

Lovely area though.

Where are you based Fairy Nuff? I'm in Indre too. Lucay le Male (10kms from Valencay).

I'm afraid I hadn't checked the opening hours. It is true that most attractions are in hibernation over the winter period. We all need a rest after fetes and brocantes every weekend from Easter to the end of October, if only to do some reading.

FairyNuff

[:D]