A friend was adopted by a female cat last year, who then went on to

produce 3 kittens - 1 male, 2 female.  Unfortunately the male is no

longer with us, but this means that my friend is left with 3 female cats

that now need to be spayed.  One local vet wants €107 each another

local vet wants €102 for each cat - this is way too much for my friends

to fork out.  They phoned their old vet in England just to see how the

prices compared and the vet in England said £26 per cat.  What a 

difference!!!!!

Is there any organisation in France that will spay these cats for a lot less money, bearing in mind these cats are semi feral.  Anywhere in the Pompadour/Lubersac/Paysac region (19).

Look forward to your replies.

Blimey - are you sure they asked their vet' in the UK about spaying, not neutering?  I can't imagine anybody charging that little for the female op - I'm sure we paid over £50 ten years ago in Britain.

Here is a price survey:

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/pets/prices.html

I reckon £65 is more realistic for the UK.

Nevertheless, 100€ is about what we paid last year.

I have the bill in front of me now.

70€ for the actual op' but on top of that is a consultation (pre-op examination etc), various drugs etc like the anaesthetic, which took the total up to 117,47 with the TVA.  Good thing we love 'em.

There was a chap who posted on here a few months ago about trying to promote a neutering programme in France - he might be a good person to get in touch with.  I will try to find the thread.

Here's his website:

http://www.la-protection-des-chats.com/

My vet' is very sympathetic in this regard and treated a stray we found (now re-homed) for free.  The one we kept, we paid for, but he knows we can afford it so we didn't ask but well worth your friends being upfront with their vet' and trying to get the price down, I would have thought, in the circs.

(Sorry about the multiple posts! - I'm getting there...)

Hello

I spoke with Les Chats de la Rue, they are all over france and when I went to the vets I told them that the charity had said they would pay(no evidence was requested), he said fine and that was it, I didnt pay.  I posted before that the charity were not the most sypathetic (they wanted me to trap and have the kittens PTS) but they def. do subsidie the spaying of otherwise feral cats.  I had mum 'done' and rehomed the kittens to homes who agreed to have them spayed at the approprate time (they were too young to be done immediatley),  Mum is still in France with a friend as she never took to the indoor life but has the life of riley as a well fed stable cat!

http://leschatsdelarue.jimdo.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Can understand how costly it would work out if one has a bunch of semi wild/feral/barn moggies to neuter and spay.  Approaching a sympathetic Vet or a charity would obviously be an option since most Vets agree that in France it is now of vital importance to have animals neutered in order to stop them breeding out of control and to limit the suffering of unwanted animals.

But even for one domestic cat I think it's still really important to shop around.  On another forum people were discussing what I thought to be extraordinary costs to spay and neuter cats.  I checked with my own Vet yesterday and he confirmed that he will spay a female cat, which includes anaesthetic and post-op check and removal of stitches for €96.  To neuter a male cat the inclusive cost is $42.  It is more than we paid him when we first arrived in France 10 years ago, but of course that was then.............[:)]