Excel Tax Spreadsheet

betty

I am having a problem checking my income tax charges using John Brown's excellent spreadsheet.

Entering:

1. UK State Pensions amount, then in the box below;

2. UK Company/Private pension amount

The resulting figure below in the adjusted column:

Non Govt. Pension Income.

Has calculated the addition of 1 & 2 in other words included the Gov. Pension. where I think it should not.

I am confused; also the tax is much higher than last year although my income is pretty much the same.

Sorry I am not well up on these sorts of things and probably being a dilly but I would be grateful for someone to explain.

Hi Betty,

The pensions you mention, i.e. UK state pension and UK company/private pension are BOTH taxable in France. It is only UK government service (e.g. police, fire, civil service, etc.) pensions that are not taxable in France.

Without knowing more about how you declared your pensions (this year and last) it would be difficult to explain the changes.

Is it possible that your overall income has just increased slightly to put some of it into a higher tax band?

"Has calculated the addition of 1 & 2 in other words included the Gov. Pension. where I think it should not"

Could you be more precise on what 'Gov. Pension' it has included that you think it should not?

Just to clarify, in this context a 'state retirement pension' is not the same as a 'government pension' - they are treated differently.

Hi tinabee,

Thank you for your reply.

Well my global income has increased by 0.7% whereas my tax has increased by 65%.

Private and State Pensions were both declared on:

2042-K: Pensions, retraites, rentes

and

2047 1AS & 1BS

Same as last year I think.

Wooly

Iā€™m sure the Social charges have something to do with the problem.

Euro Trash

Yes my error, I now know the Gov. Pension is not the same as State Retirement.

Iā€™ll pop down to my local tax office and hopefully they will have an explanation, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s an error somewhere, possibly mine.

Many thanks for your replies.

Hi tinabee,

I wrote this on the form:

M. et Mme Les titulaires de formulaire E-121 (S1), donc je ne suis pas Ć  la charge de lā€™assurance maladie. Donc 2047-K: V1 et 2042-K 8TK sans rapport.

I guess they missed it. I will do as you suggest.

I cannot find anything that relates to 7.1%?

Thanks again for your help.

[quote user="betty"]I am having a problem checking my income tax charges using John Brown's excellent spreadsheet.

Entering:

1. UK State Pensions amount, then in the box below;

2. UK Company/Private pension amount

The resulting figure below in the adjusted column:

Non Govt. Pension Income.

Has calculated the addition of 1 & 2 in other words included the Gov. Pension. where I think it should not.

I am confused; also the tax is much higher than last year although my income is pretty much the same.

Sorry I am not well up on these sorts of things and probably being a dilly but I would be grateful for someone to explain.[/quote]

To be clear. There are at least 3 sorts of pension

State (OAP) and Private which are taxable in France and so which should be added together;

and Gov Pension which is also taxable in France  against which a tax credit ( the amount of tax you would have paid if it were taxable in France ) is given to avoid double taxation and which goes in a different box.

I am not sure whether you have an OAP+ a Private pension, inwhich case both go together and are taxable;

or an OAP and a Gov Pension in which case they are treated differently.

Last year the Impots wrongly applied social charges to my UK property income and completely omitted my (declared) NHS pension income in producing my initial Avis. A couple of emails and it was all sorted out, this year they've got it spot on. Fact is they do make mistakes, so it pays to scrutinise every line and be prepared to argue your case.