Getting married in France

I am south african and my husband is British and we got married and found it rather easy.  We just had it done at the Mairie. We didnt go the church thing.  Go to the Marie in the area you live and ask them what you need to do.  They should give you a little booklet.  You will need a birth ceritificate from the UK which is easy to get and then you need to get it translated by a registered translator amongs other things.  You also need to get a doctors certificate but the Marie should tell you all you need to know.

Candice

We did it last year and in the end found it very easy, as chateaudsays pop to the Mairie and they will give you a booklet which contains a form, the birth certificate must not be older than 6 months so you will need to request one from the uk 5 months before the wedding, the Mairie will give you a list of registered translaotors you can use , it cost i think  45 euro for the translation , you then have to have a blood test which cant be done before 3 months and in our case that was it. At first i thought the time scales would cause a problem as we could not get any fixed dated that the wedding could go ahead but we just went with the flow.I think there was another legal form that was requested but we did not need that as our lawyer said that we were residents of France and we had opted for French Law.

[quote]Hello, I am new to this so Bonjour tu le monde, How & what do I need to get married in France, does anyone know?[/quote]

I am French and my husband British. We married at my parents local Mairie and then the local church (under bothside parental pressure) Church is not compulsory and you can't get married there if you have not been married at the Mairie FIRST! that's the only legal marriage in France.

I went to the Mairie and was given a booklet of do's and don'ts.

Needed birth certificate, blood group and medical certificate type thing, same for my husband but all his lot had to be translated (at a cost! by an official translator - I could have done it for gratis but there you are... paper/officialdom!) We also had to state whether we had entered into any matrimonial contracts of any kind (the forerunner of the American Prenuptal! ) Being French and we had decided to live in UK, I had to sign more paper to say I was a non resident in France. 

At the end of the ceremony in the Mairie, you will be given a 'Livret de Famille' KEEP IT SAFE! it will often act in France as a legal document for buying a house, putting your children in school (if you remain in France for that) all kind of things where a marriage certificate is needed... As and when your children are born (you have no more than 3 days to declare your child's birth-often done by the hospital registrar) they will be written in this booklet. When any one of you dies (your spouse and/or children) that will also be written in.

My children were both born in Wales and are written in my 'Livret de famille' because when smaller they were on my passport as they always came to France with me to visit their French grandparents. When they reach their 18th birthday they were both called up by the French government to do their national service. They had to attend a day of briefing on different kind of ways to do their 6/12 months call up. They were under NO compulsion to go to any Army/Navy/Airforce regiment, they were offered to join the 'Gendarmerie' (sort of community/special constable) the fire service or as an auxillary in a hospital. To me that was more useful than training to be cannon fodder!. 

However as they were both still in full time education and resident in UK, we just had to fill in a form to say that they could not attend the briefing day and we have not heard a thing since... I think by now the whole national service thing in France is optional anyway...

Now they are of age to have their own passport and they chose British! That's life!

So don't think of the just the wedding day but think of the future implications...         Reality check day I am afraid!

Whatever you chose to do have a nice day! French wedding days go on and on!

A crucial question is - are you currently living in France, or is it just that you want to get married there? We wanted to get married in Paris a couple of years ago but when we found out that I would have had to live there for (I think) 90 days beforehand we realized it was not going to be possible. (Got married on an island on the Great Barrier Reef instead - easier to arrange to do the deed the other side of the world than the other side of the Channel!)

Bonne chance!

[quote]Hello, I am new to this so Bonjour tu le monde, How & what do I need to get married in France, does anyone know?[/quote]

Sorry forgot to say from my early posting.

Whatever you decide make sure that the fact you are getting married in France is LEGAL tender in the country which you and your spouse-to-be come from, in case either of you want to go back and live in your country of origin. And (SAD cow I am!...) but should it come to divorce it will have quite some bearing on that day....

NOT every country will accept such arrangement!! Read the small prints!!

• 6 years later...

[quote user="Lewisland"]Hello, I am new to this so Bonjour tu le monde, How & what do I need to get married in France, does anyone know?[/quote]

Weird things are happening.....I have NEVER posted this....so where on earth did it come from ??