water restrictions very serious

hello, I have just been informed by email today, that the water supply is now so short, that certain communes are having there water turned off, and it will only be on between 22 00hrs and 06 00hrs,  that a water tanker will visit each commune for just two hours each day,that it is the responsiblity of each person to collect their own supply. can someone verify this please.

Sharon...

hi, not official, it was from gite owner, who has swimming pool guy, who operates in the charente maritime region, he is going to inform her of specific areas as they are released. I just wondered if anyone else had heard this.

[quote]Sounds like Chinese Whispers to me.Why don't you ask at your Mairie?[/quote]

It is not Chinese whispers.

I remember as a youngster (anything between 1960 to 1976!) when we had these water cut off/restrictions.

My parents live on the eastern side of Niort in 79 and some summers we had NO water from 9am until at least 6pm. This could be so for at least 3 to 4 weeks on end if not a couple of months.

You just had to be very inventive to store your water for your own consumption and be a very savy recycler to not waste any.

The municipal baths/swimming pools (enjoying a restrictions free time) were never so busy, so were the local rivers/étang/plan d'eau and the like.

The best holidays I ever had as us the children were carted off to distant relatives in the Savoie region to ease off the problem. In the Alps the droughts were not so drastic.

And there are going to be bread shortages to

I remember the late 60,s when there was no bread to be had and we had people travelling to Carlisle to get bread

Also no electricity

HOWEVER the prefecture in charente maritime makes no mention of these types of water restrictions so far for the year 2005.

hi, I emailed the person direct, and asked him if he had heard this officially, his answer was yes,  and he gave me the mail address for the prefecture, but my french doesn,t really stretch that far, i personally didn,t think i could find where it stated that properties would have their water cut off through the day, but here,s the site for someone who has better french than i.http://www.charente-maritime.pref.gouv.fr/actualite/infos/communique_actu.asp

Sharon.......

I only read the notice from the 28th June, but saw no mention of stopping the taps during the day. Measures appear serious, but no daytime stop was stated. I guess you will hear on July 5th whether this might be imposed at the new meeting.

I have heard of this happening in France, can't remember what department, or the year.

Good luck to you. I am sure if this measure is put into place EVERYONE in your area will be talking about it.

[quote]hi, I emailed the person direct, and asked him if he had heard this officially, his answer was yes, and he gave me the mail address for the prefecture, but my french doesn,t really stretch that far, ...[/quote]

You need to read both arretes on the site to get the full picture. The "arrete" of 28 June relates to the taking of surface water etc, presumably for agriculture and brings Charente Maritime into line with adjacent departments. Depending on which river basin serves your commune you may or may not be allowed to take water. It will be reviewed 5 July. The basic conditions for domestic usage from the mains supply are in the previous arrete which remains in force until 7 July. Neither make any mention ofn communes being cut off from the mains or being served by tankers. Indeed watering of gardens is still permitted between 1800 and 0800