Re: Any phobias ?

Yes, snakes, of which there are plenty in my garden.  Stained loos, and I have a fosse and therefore cannot use bleach.  Dirty ovens and I try not to use mine because cleaning it is too much of a hassle.

Do I have a sad life? Probably.  But I have a phobia about my life being not as well ordered as some other people's and I think that perhaps I should try harder not to have a phobia about so many things. 

I have a fear of heights, plus a compulsion to jump off from high places . (Don't ever let me drive with you across a high bridge [6]) I think this is a very common phobia. Mine only started after I had children. Before that I used to go rock climbing, no problems.

It's not really a phobia with me, but I hate the sound of a vacuum cleaner.

The sound of the vacuum stems from when my granny used to start her upright hoover at 6 o'clock every morning.  I can still see/hear the bl***y thing starting up, big long bag (hoover not granny) inflating as the noise builds to a crescendo, the noise then changing according to whether granny is pushing or pulling.  Big long handle which granny used to have almost horizontal as she was so small.  I remember it starting up and switching off sounding just as if it was an air raid warning.

Used to be phobic about snakes, and cured myself from that by forcing myself to get close and really look at them.

So now, only phobias left are heights and flying, dentists, and thunderstorms.

This week, the mother of all thunderstorms started at the same time as I set off for a much-dreaded appointment with the dentist. Double whammy.

A few years ago, another dreaded appointment with another dentist, first time visit, it was 2 days after 9/11, and I discovered to my horror that the dentist was located on the 19th floor of a tower block. By the time I was sitting in his chair (which was located not too far from the window) there were high winds and I swear I could feel the building sway, whilst having  those horrendous 9/11 images on my mind.

However, I haven't yet had any dentistry done while travelling by plane - guess that will have to be the next one.[:D]