Re: Why is it that the moment you want to sell your house, it immediately.....

mint

appears most attractive?

What law of nature is out there which makes you view your property with new eyes accompanied by a sort of dull blow that catches you in the solar plexus just thinking about leaving it?

Nevermind that you have wanted to move for yonks, pay no attention to the fact that you have spent time and money and  travelled thousands of kilometers to view dozens of potential houses with the full intention of making a change but here you are, poised on the edge of making a decision and this law comes into effect, turning you into a gibbering, indecisive wreck, making you lose sleep, your appetite, your general sense of wellbeing.

Then the sun comes out and you walk about your suddenly (in your opinion anyway) most pretty garden wherein your house becomes a very jewel in this garden setting.  Then, your OH is out there planting an orchard and you become acutely conscious that you won't be around to see the trees bear fruit.

Indoors, the decor looks most tasteful, your dog looks blissful in front of the Godin stove, you feel like a domestic goddess, baking delicious, hot scones for tea.

So, you ask yourself for the hundredth time whether you truly, honestly, really want all the hassle of selling up and moving?

Only thing is, how come you never think thoughts like these BEFORE you decide on moving?

Anyone out there can identify with this scenario?[:D] 

That's the thing, there is the draw (bridge) of the moat, don't you know?

Nah, only kinda joking but there IS some Law out there like what I have described, y'know?

I have experienced it on every occasion when I have sold up.  In fact, there were even times in the past when I was glad when no one wanted to buy my house!

Crackers or what?[:D]

Hey, Richard, are you back in France then?  Did you manage to tear yourself away from New Jersey?

You wait till someone makes you an offer for your house and then you can come back here and tell us how you feel?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Anyone out there can identify with this scenario?[:D] 

[/quote]

all the time... we decide we're going to move, look at lots of houses, then decide there's no place like home and stop looking... until the next time. 

In  truth I think that maybe our house is not the right house for us but... we've done lots to it and spent a fair bit getting it how we want... when we look at other houses they may look wonderful on the outside but inside they just dont live up to expectations.  Our village isn't pretty but it's friendly and stays the same all year round... and we love our view and our neighbours are brilliant (we've just come back from a holiday with them) our local primary school is great although our son goes on to college in september... but we still look and get excited and make plans.. and then change our minds... if you come up with an answer do let me know [:$]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Got the tubes knotted again or have you left a little cub in the four in the good old US of A? What a way to get a greencard.[;-)][/quote]

Alas, even that would not get me a green card.

Very expensive way to try and get one though.

Am seeing the doc on Thurs to make sure I'm still a jaffa.

Rose says:  if you find out the answer, do let me know

Well, Rose, you can always buy another house and live alternately in both until you decide which one you prefer?

Or perhaps that's not so easy if the properties are far apart on account of your son's education.

I think a large part of the problem is if you do have very good friends and belong to clubs, etc, that you enjoy because then the choice to move becomes more difficult.

Houses and places can be very enigmatic things:  I mean you just "feel" right or you don't. I lived in Wales for years (too many, methinks) and, although I loved my house there, I never felt quite "at home" in Wales.

Don't everybody from Wales give me a hard time, please.  I loved going there on holiday just didn't really want to live there!  Sorry.......

"your house becomes a very jewel in this garden setting.  Then, your

OH is out there planting an orchard.

Indoors, the decor looks most tasteful, your dog looks blissful in

front of the Godin stove, you feel like a domestic goddess, baking

delicious, hot scones for tea."

Can I be the Man who came to Dinner'?[6]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you'll never get rid of the lubber!

Time to spring kleen the barrel Norman, chase out the odd bint who might be left over from the "Keep Normie warm in the winter" charity visit!! And the mice. Then go pick some oakum to fill the draughty cracks.[6]

Is it perhaps the 'fear' of the unknown?  Whatever our circumstances we do find security in what we have a nd  know and a new house, new town, new friends can be very daunting.  You know that the move is what you really want for a zillion reasons, so now you must find everything positive in the new house ( glossy brown beams included[Www]) and not spend too much time  finding reasons to love your current home more.  And I agree with Wooly - the sun plays a huge part in this....

Yes, I'm really, really ready for the move. 

The house is fine (or will be once I get my hands on it and do some work and changing around) and the area has lots of interesting little towns within easy driving distance.

Had some nice meals out and took the dog walking along the Don and the Chère.  The immediate area is very flat so, although it isn't vallonée, there are very big skies with spectacular starry displays at night.  Saw the Milky Way in all its glory.

I even heard a band rehearsing in the local church and saw a poster for a double bass concert (are you paying attention, Norman?)  I was immediately intrigued because I don't think I have ever been to a concert where the double bass is the principal instrument.

There's the Nantes-Brest canal so how's about canoeing the whole length of that, Jen, after the Compostelle?  How's your canoeing technique?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I even heard a band rehearsing in the local church and saw a poster for a double bass concert.  I was immediately intrigued because I don't think I have ever been to a concert where the double bass is the principal instrument.

[/quote]

It's usually called a jazz concert.

Sweet - Have you had an offer for your house?  Are you on the move?  I've been away - have I missed something?

No, Cathy, house not yet put on the market and may not be for a few months.  Have found a house in the Loire Atlantique, made an offer which has been accepted.

Now just deciding with the owner whether to to do the transaction in euros or sterling.  He's back in the UK and so is our money, therefore it makes sense to pay him in £s.

Hope you and all the family are well?