Re: "Countrified": good thing or bad?

mint

[quote user="sweet 17"]

But, Hoddy, I can't quite bear to part with the vertiginous shoes yet.  I mean I have a pair of 4 inch high mules that are a simulated bright blue snakeskin!

I mean, how does one part with such treasured possessions?[blink] 

[/quote]

They sound a it like the ones I bought myself as  my 40th birthday present - I think I wore them about 4 times!  I could not walk very far in them, and standing in them .....!!!!!  I took quite a lot like that to the charity shop before I left London as I could find no-one with my size foot who wanted to wear them.  And they were beautiful too!

Does Emmaus take clothing and shoes?  Or Secour Catholique, or some such other in your region?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Judith, I am sure I can find a deserving charity if I put my mind to it.

But, help, I've just thought about my all-leather black and white high-heeled mules with the appliqué leather  flowers and what about those mules my sister bought me from the Far East that have hand-sewn pink and green beads on them?

I think I'll give away some of my coats, jackets and even scarves instead........

Well, like most of you, the countryfied (bag lady?) look suits me well.  If I have work to do in the house, even washing up, I have my tenus de travail which consist largely of hand me downs from my son.  When my daughter was visiting me recently she went through my entire wardrobe and chucked everything which wasn't suitable for wearing in public.  I can't complain as she wants her ol' mum to look presentable but I just can't function when I'm not slopping about the house. Now, if George Clooney lived next door, it wouldn't be a problem - I'd make an effort every day[Www]

Judith: Yes, Emmaus do take clothes, shoes, in fact they take just about anything. Secours Catholique, Secours Populaire, Croix Rouge, are slightly more discriminatory (usually, because of lack of space and fewer volunteers), but they will still gladly take clothes, shoes, bric-a-brac, and even sometimes, small furniture items.

I wouldn't worry about any "fautes de style". There will always be someone, somewhere, for whom your most improbable cast-offs will be a treasure to behold.

5E

Thanks, Emmaus is our nearest and most handy, so them it is ...

I think you are right about one man's meat .... etc ... I do remember last year at a Vente de Charite the French ladies loved the English cast-offs ....  I saw at least one of the blouses I had donated (just never quite fitted right!), proudly carried off by a French lady!