Re: Funeral Directors

Gardian

I've put this in 'The Lighter Side', for reasons that I'll explain later.

We just watched 'The Fixer', which this evening was about a firm of funeral directors that was in trouble. Its interesting TV, just seeing companies (apparently) going off the rails, and this one was clearly in disarray - a classic case of parent and one or more disinterested siblings. We all know of friends / acquaintances who have been in similar situations.

I can well remember the only funeral that I had to deal with - my Mother's. You're faced with a sudden death and you go round to the firm that you know of in your local town (or in my case, where I was brought up).  You just go to their office and ask them to fix it: no time or inclination to get involved in asking for quotes and comparing them. Sadly, a body requires 'removal' and taking care of and it needs to be done pdq.

Anyway ........... I was only talking to my French neighbour the other day and he told me triumphantly that he had secured a couple of plots at our village cemetary. "Fine", said I. "What's so special about that?"

"Well, they're very scarce", said Michel. "The normal price is €1500 for a two-person plot, but I got it for a knock-down €1200 + the vendor told me that it had a good view". I asked him why the old boy who sold it to him was prepared to release this valuable piece of 8x4, but he changed the subject.[blink]

Is it that expensive in your neck of the woods?