The Drawing Room

Kitty

Mummy told me never to say the word 'lounge' (there you are - I've just said).  The word or words to use is/are 'drawing room'.  Splendid - that has made it frightfully clear.  What does one want to talk about in my drawing room?

Cathy, when I was a girl we were only allowed in the lounge on Sundays, we always had to take our shoes off and were never allowed a drink in there, I hated it as it was a place where you had to keep quiet whilst the news was on the black and white television,it was a grown up place and I always wanted my lounge to be a family room where you can put your feet up on the settee, I suppose I have rebbelled  against the orderly childhood that I endured in the "Lounge" so perhaps the forum should have named this new section  "the family room" it sounds more inviting and  you would certainly be able to put your feet up and let yourself go.

I think the drawing room sounds quite posh, but my sister always calls her lounge the drawing room, but she has a family room as well, where did the name drawing room orriginate from.I am in historical mode tonight, forgive me.But in reply to your question, yes I suppose one could let ones self go in the drawing room.Do you think others might join us.

Have just looked up history of the drawing room in georgian times it was upstairs then in the victorian era it moved downstairs to the front of the house, sometimes known asthe sitting room or frontparlour from the word parler that means place where guests are received to talk, so yes perhaps this section needs to be called the drawing room.Incidently  the info on it also said woman did withdraw to it after dinner , did not mention cigars, but my O.H.would have enjoyed a hamlet with the boys whilst I was in the drawingroom.It is a shame we have lost these wonderful names for rooms in our modern language.

"My mother always called it the lounge suite, how posh is that!!!!!"

Not very posh at all according to Nancy Mitford. From memory, I think she said that a lounge had potted palms and existed only in hotels.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]

"My mother always called it the lounge suite, how posh is that!!!!!"

Not very posh at all according to Nancy Mitford. From memory, I think she said [/quote]

Did you meet her in France ?

When I first moved from the city to my grandmothers cottage as a child there was one room which contained a roaring coal fire and a tin tub in from containing my collier grandfather, a sink (or bosh as we call it in Wales) a table, a 'setee' a chair and a b and w tv.

Full family integration and by the way my grandfather would be asking for the soap in welsh.