Taxe d'Habitation.

Mr Wiggy

We got ours today too - almost  incredible!

I sent them a letter back in ?November, after being told about the new govt. ruling by our tax office. Never thought it would come to anything, knowing how short of money they are, but [:D]

No doubt something else that retired Brits with S1's dont have to pay but you Norman having worked for your living in France and contributed for solidarity so that others didnt have to will continue to pay taxes and social charges as long as you draw breath.

Trop bon trop con!

Norman - it's a long story - I thought I'd posted it on here but obviously not.

It's not just expats with S1s, but  for anyone who was previously exempt by age and income, then for some reason in years ?2014-15 their income increased and they were liable. For Taxes H and F.

A really weird decision by the govt., (? last Sept.) but it applied to us, (exchange rate) so not complaining.

I think you have to apply to get it? I spent hours sorting it out.

Go and ask in your tax office if it you can benefit from it.

"anyone who was previously exempt by age and income"

There were quite a few Brits who didn't have to pay until the new way of declaring income came in a couple of years back.

Their income looked as if it was 0 since it was already taxed at souce in the UK, so they were exempted from paying as  their Taxable income for France was 0,  yet in fact globally their income was above the threshold for paying Taxe d'Hab..

I thought it might have been these people you were talking about.

[quote user="Patf"]

I think you have to apply to get it? I spent hours sorting it out.

Go and ask in your tax office if it you can benefit from it.

[/quote]

You don't have to apply. If you did not pay last year (2014) because you were under the tax threshold then it is an automatic refund. People who pay by lump sum (cheque etc.) did not have to pay when it became due. Everyone eligible should have had a letter before the final payment date.

Exactly, Jay.

I forgot to mention that they took 2 big prelevements from our account in December, prewarned. The full annual amounts for taxes H and F.

Many people wouldn't have that amount available and could have gone overdrawn. That was what I questioned when I went to the tax office ie the reason for that.