can we make it to the 2nd page of a thread

arthur smith

Seriously though Arthur, I think we saw a thread the other day which turned into a slanging match on the first page which I found quite rude and such posters should know better than to ruck into someone who had given what seemed to be sound information.  However, I don't think this happens often, in fact we have not seen any heated slanging matches for a while now.  I think there are many heated discussions though but these seem to appear on the more contraversial threads anyway which are left open for debate and divided opinion.

[quote user="beryl"]

And you two should be watching the blooming football that you have both been going on about.

It's only just started , are you bored already?

Keep it nice please [:)]

[/quote]

Sorry mam.

When I was at school my teacher told me I had the concentration span of a gnat.  I am bored with the world cup now.

the reason i raise the point is that we have had 2 recent threads;

where will you be watching the world cup ?  only 4 of the 78 replies actually answered the question, it then became a slanging match.

the thread about the free water, again it gets into 2 or 3 members ( members, interesting word) carrying out their own personal agendas and slanging each other off.

same people all the time. and before you start posting  please don't go on about healthy arguments etc etc etc it doesn't wash.

not being provocative, just my observation.

A lot of the time it depends on the topic, plus the fact people are writing on here to strangers whose only common interest is France. If we were all stuck in a village hall and given topics to debate, who knows what would happen. Perhaps people would mind their Ps and Qs a bit more in a face to face situation.

Nice idea Twinks but if Dick doesn't see any pints of pride at the do, he will kick off, I promise you that !

Nice game with terrific goals , best start to a World Cup for many a year.

Can Dick wear his footie boots to the party, his fairy outfit is now a bit too small ?

[quote user="beryl"]

A lot of the time it depends on the topic, plus the fact people are writing on here to strangers whose only common interest is France. If we were all stuck in a village hall and given topics to debate, who knows what would happen. Perhaps people would mind their Ps and Qs a bit more in a face to face situation.

[/quote]

Yes Beryl, I agree wholey.  But also in that kind of scenario would it not be a birds of a feather kind of thing.  We would have all different little groups speaking about there favourite subjects and maybe get together for a bit of a dance later.  Here in forum world, we are all lumbered together.

You really must be Arthur Smith the comedian - I don't think that's an insult because I for one find him funny, especially in Grumpy Old Men on the telly. Mnd you, that reminds me of a recent topic on this forum.

What World Cup anyway?

[quote user="arthur smith"]

the thread about the free water, again it gets into 2 or 3 members ( members, interesting word) [/quote]

Free water?   Who gets free water?   We don't get that round here, oh no sirree!   Yet another lack of égalité in la belle France!   Free water indeed, mumble grumble you should see house prices round here, we deserve free water.

"Members" is a very interesting word.  Especially in "right honourable member".   How many of THOSE do we know, eh?   Very few, I'll wager.  

SB exits stage right, fruitlessly racking small brane for proof that there is such a thing as an honourable member.....

I often think the arguments, heated discussions and free exchange of opinions are what make this forum so lively.  Admittedly you need the ref to break it up sometimes if there's a low blow, but without the odd bust-up it would be like any other forum and diminished for it.  I have no problem with those who rail against some of the pomposity and self-opinionated poop that sometimes appears.  It doesn't appear too often but when it does it deserves to be pricked.  Go on then, have a pop.

Phil