What Should I put on My Beams

verviale

Have posted this in the lounge as it is information for my english house,I have recently had my beams sand blasted, they were black just like a pub, now they are light oak, they are 500 years old, someone told me to use bees wax, so I tried that on a small area, it was horrible, just made them dark oak, no ,a local boat builder exclaimed raw linseed oil is your poisen it will gradually soak in giving them the look you want, well, tried that this morning , just ghastly sent them dark, what I want is a honey type glow, they are such a wonderful coulor, I do not want to change it, any suggestions? Incidently anyone thinking of having there beams sand blasted, move out,it was horendous, it took me a week to clean the house, the dust was inside shoes in shoe boxes, thats how intense it was, I would never have had it done if I had known the devistation it would cause, but the beams look glorious, I would love it done in my french house, has anyone had it done?

"has anyone had it done?"

Oh yes. Still sweeping up the dust......

Mine are still bare, and still look fabulous after three years.[:)]

You have to remember that people used to create a whole lot more sticky black nasty stuff back in the day.

Many days: thousands of days, I should say.

Plenty of time to decide what you want to do.

I had mine done when I was renovating my house when I lived in the UK. Fortunately the place was gutted when it was done (plaster stripped of the walls, see the sky from the sitting room, etc.) so the mess was not a problem (though the grit continued to emerge from the stairs for several years).

I just left them plain - no finish. They looked good and stayed looking good. No change in colour over the 15 years I lived there.

I believe in France people use linseed oil - though I'm not sure how it changes the colour.

Ian

We have had long horn beetle in our new ish oak beams upstairs (previous owner had roof replaced).They haven't touched the downstairs 'black' beams though must be some evil stuff!  Did you know white wash was used externally to prevent insect attack.

I don't really want to sand the black off though, it's a bit sad, but it feels like history is etched on those old beams. We now have new ones going ceiling to floor to support the roof as we removed some beams to convert the upstairs. They are a lovely untouched oak colour, trouble is they don't match the anicient black ones............what to do, lighten the old ones or darken the new ones!

Louise

The barn doors changed but only in a 'it looks wet' kinda way.

As for bees wax.are you sure it wasn't tinted or something?! 'Himslef's father makes the stuff and i've never noticed it make much difference to the colour of wood.

The 'Working with Wood Crew' will soon tell you  what's best!

Louise

[Edit...... We tried Linseed on pine and  i reckon it made it look pants......well more pants than it already is!!)