Can you recommend an Iron?

Russethouse

I have put this here as I am in the UK however makes etc are fairly similar so you may be able to help.

I have decided to buy one of those irons with an external tank for the water, can anyone suggest a good one (or even which one to avoid) my sister says her Iron  is noisy - is that a general fault or just the one she has (a Tefal I think) ?

We did look at these in the (former) Moulinex factory shop just last week but we were put off by the bulk of the apparatus - how to you fit them on the ironing board?  Bit of a swine to store and lug in and out as well.  Sorry, this isn't much help, is it? [:$]

PS If you are ever in Lower Normandy (ok, not likely, but someone else may be) the old Moulinex factory shop at Alençon sells loads of stuff for up to half what it is in the shops - Tefal, Moulinex, Rowenta, Calor, Phillips, Krups, SEB - vacuum cleaners, raclettes, toasters, kettles, pans etc.

For years I had ordinary irons with the usual small resevoir.  They always failed before the guarantee ran out and so I would take them back to the shop every 8 months or so and add a little bit of money to the cost and buy a more expensive one.  I used to do a lot of ironing in those days so they just wore out.  After about 4 years of doing this I was mightily fed up and had just paid well over £100 for the latest iron which after 3 months went wrong.  In the end I bit the bullet and paid about £150 and bought a Tefal resevoir iron and it is fantastic.  I have had it now for about 6 years and it is so efficient.  Loads of steam and the resevoir lasts for at least an hours ironing.  I still do a lot of ironing :(

Gail