8TK - further info asked by tax office

Chocfish

French tax really is the gift that just keeps on giving!

We had a long and expensive saga last year while trying to include details of our UK rental income in our french tax return last year. To cut a long story short, this year we have submitted our figures as calculated accountant advised last year. Very simply, we Have completed form 2042 and transferred the rental income total to 8TK on form 2047.

The tax office has responded asking the following question... Vous auriez dû les déclarer également ,soit en micro foncier ,soit en revenus fonciers ,soit en locations meublées sur votre déclaration de revenus

Veuillez nous indiquer à quelle rubrique peuvent correspondre ces revenus et nous les ajouterons ,avec votre accord dans votre déclaration de revenus

As far as I am aware, the accountant did not specify any of these last year.

Other info: we are working, not S1 holders. The accountant (re) submitted our return on paper last year, we've done it online. The rental income is for 2 furnished appts, total income just over 10,000€ but less than 15,000€.

I'm guessing this is related to social charges? Can anyone tell me what the above means and the implications of opting for one or the other?

Thank you for any advise. I really thought it would be easy this year but no...

It looks to me as if , for some reason, they think your rental property is in France, not the UK. Those are questions they ask about French rentals. We have a UK rental and we don't get asked those questions.

But I could be wrong.

Thanks, I've done a bit more research and it does look like these questions relate to form 2042-pro which is for declaring french income. All our accountant said about this was that this form was not necessary.

Any other advice welcome while I craft a polite yet assertive email to the tax office ;-)

My advice is to avoid all the headaches and angst, all the complications of transferring figures from one box to another, the requirement to list foreign bank accounts yet still pay what is due, I go for a quiet life and just fill out one single form, two boxes, one with my French rental income, the other, box 8TI with my collective UK revenue.

Twas the contrôleur himself that did this "to simplify things" no doubt because I saw him as planned just before lunch, I have continued to follow his example.

[quote user="Chancer"]

My advice is to avoid all the headaches and angst, all the complications of transferring figures from one box to another, the requirement to list foreign bank accounts yet still pay what is due, I go for a quiet life and just fill out one single form, two boxes, one with my French rental income, the other, box 8TI with my collective UK revenue.

Twas the contrôleur himself that did this "to simplify things" no doubt because I saw him as planned just before lunch, I have continued to follow his example.

[/quote]

I don't know if it was you but somebody said that a while ago and I took good notice. I also talked to my new French friends at the time telling them I needed to pay tax and where should I go. That's a good idea I learnt because all the Brits (and all the other immigrants) in France don't pay tax, stops the rumours from flying around. They also told me it is very important to go for an interview and to make an 11:30 appointment. It worked a treat, asked what form or forms I needed. Told her what small income I have, she said put it all one the single form and that was it. I have a copy so if anyone asks I just show the copy and tell them that is what I was told to do by Mme X. Unless it is to your advantage NEVER tell them anything. That's not to suggest you lie or cheat but if your not asked don't tell. This is the same technique used with any functionaire in France.

[quote user="Chocfish"]Thanks, I've done a bit more research and it does look like these questions relate to form 2042-pro which is for declaring french income. All our accountant said about this was that this form was not necessary.

Any other advice welcome while I craft a polite yet assertive email to the tax office ;-)[/quote]

Hi,

Bear in mind that however you declare the rents they are exempt from all tax and social charges in France under article 8 and  24 of the convention of 2008. The important entry is 8TK on 2042.

As your rents are less than 15000€ the simplest way to declare is to enter in sec 6 of 2047 with a note " micro-foncier ", and put on 2042 line 4 BE; and most importantly 8 TK.   Don't use 2042 C.

Parsnips is the 'micro-foncier' note needed if it's in 4BE as isn't that what that box is for?  (I can't remember whether I did that).  If he's only put it in 8TK and nowhere else on the main form then won't that be why they are asking whether it's microfonciere or not?

Oh thank you parsnips - I hoped you'd pop up! We have responded to the tax office to say that we didn't specify anything last year, and that we've done as advised by our acct previously. We pointed out that all the income is from / in the uk etc etc. If she comes back and insists we opt for something then we have your guidance to follow and will stay well away from form 2042 c pro (which was part of our saga last year!)

Debra - I am a she! Mr CF has had it up to here with tax business - he Is finding it hard to shake his belief that a govt agency should be able to give a consistent answer on a fairly straightforward situation - the responses here show that it is anything but consistent! So for the sake of all our stress levels I try to muddle through the tax...;-)