Blues music.

Chris Head

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

For the Artist Formerly Known As Fluffy Kitten!

Is that better?  I have everything Prince has ever done - I love him.  He did have some great teachers though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAZ0Rq3apE

Terrible recording and the worst backing vocals I've ever heard - he should have called me[:-))] but 10 out for 10 for the groove factor.

[/quote]

I love Prince too and managed to see him during his ‘sign o’ the times’’ tour in the 80s. He is truly impressive.  I don’t know anything about his teachers but when I first heard him in the late 70s, I always thought he was a ‘straighter’ (no sexual pun intended) and more serious version of the funkier and humorous (slightly crazy) Rick James.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnXW7LmX44 

Though don't judge Rick James by this. He really was much better but he sadly often lost the plot. I have his early recordings and I sort of think he must have had some influence on Prince. 

Sadly, Rick James seemed to have been far too involved with the powdery white stuff, which didn’t do much for his career and he passed away a few years ago.

I’ve always considered Prince to be the most talented and complete artist (singer, songwriter, performer, dancer, composer, producer) of my generation.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Well I personally think that Sly and the Family Stone were a huge influence on him and obviously Jimmy Hendix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EscWg2n4vR4&mode=related&search=

[/quote]

I agree. 

I tried to find an early 'straight' recording of Rick James and couldn't so I suppose the YouTube example I provided above isn't very good. 

But, Sly and Hendrix of course.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Found this Languedoc Gal 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTbFa3I8s0

Well that's nice and kitsch for me - however this title is slightly more pop /funk and much less roots than the old Sly stuff.

Lucky you getting to see the Purple One[:)]

[/quote]

Thanks for the YouTube tip. 

I think it will be hard to find video recordings of James prior to 78 but I'll check with titles. He was very kitsch and funky later. The reason I linked him to Prince was partly to do with this kitsch element (Prince's purple rain days), as well as the way he later produced female singers much in a similar vein to Rick James. James was also a mean musician but  I think the drugs element - well documented- overtook everything from the late 70s.

I saw Prince in Paris and, on the ticket, people were instructed to wear either Peach or Black. I was amazed that so many did just that.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I'd have worn peach and black - did you?

Okay - maybe someone will get this thread back on track[:)]

[/quote]

I wore black as couldn't have carried off peach. A lot of people had peach umbrellas though.

Thread back on track -----  Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ''Blues Music is Soulless'' - Discuss vehemently (Controversial enough?[6]). When Dick reads this, I'm going to have to leave Europe and cover my tracks[:-))]

No, it's an interesting proposition, albeit one which seems to rely on a certain amount of sophistry to make its point.

In the sense that 'soul' means 'black, from the south', as in 'soul food' then there is an obvious point. Deeper, I would say that original blues music from Mississippi or Texas spoke from a shared experience of rural existence, poverty or the escape therefrom and the expression of a 'racial yearning' for freedom and recognition. In many cases. In others, of course, it spoke of sex and drugs and alcohol, of work and avoiding it, and the inner freedom of self expression. Of course all of those things were tinged with the experience of slavery and repression and so connected with feeling the blues. Of the way that nothing comes without a price (Is that Macbeth or Robert Johnson? Of course it is both, because it is an eternal verity of the human condition).

Soul music - obviously has its origins largely in the blues, like rock and roll and boogie woogie. But with the added ingredients of gospel and religious music which occurs relatively rarely in southern blues. So in that sense Soul is less present in the blues, or Rhythm and Blues or Blues Rock. It tends to reflect the themes of popular music, but in a more sensitive form - an example which springs to mind is the work of the great Otis Redding, which leans towards poetry.

But the A1GP from New Zealand has just come on, so I will leave this fascinating topic for others.

Haven't got that channel and anyway I was working so.......... Hope you enjoyed it[:)]

So there we are and the joint is jumping and the guitarist does "Shot Down in Flames" by the great AC/DC and the crowd are loving it so we slip into the old "Highway to Hell" with me on vocals this time and normally this is enough for most crowds but they want more and so we give it a "Whole lot of Rosie".  Wicked[:)]

As we're finishing to rousing applause,  a bloke comes up to me an shouts in my ear "Could you announce that a grey Renault 25 is blocking someone in?"[:-))]  

"No I can't !  Why can't it be a Harley Davidson or a b l o o d y  18 wheeler Kenworth truck that's in the way?  I can't announce that - it wouldn't be right!"[:$] 

Talk about having your bubble burst.

Good story Twinkle. Have you heard Fats Waller's version of  The Joint is Jumping?  Very lively. By the way I love blues too and have just about mastered 12 bar blues on the piano using Teach yourself Blues Piano. Next step applying it to actual songs and singing along! Much harder.Or even making up some songs along the lines of "woke up this morning, fell right back to sleep ...."etc. Pat.

[quote] As we're finishing to rousing applause,  a bloke comes up to me an

shouts in my ear "Could you announce that a grey Renault 25 is blocking

someone in?"  [:-))]

"No I can't !  Why can't it be a Harley Davidson or a b l o o d y 

18 wheeler Kenworth truck that's in the way?  I can't announce that -

it wouldn't be right!" [:$]

Talk about having your bubble burst. [/quote]

Well just be grateful Twinkle it wasn't ....................

"Baby crying in chalet 35B" [:)] [;-)]

Mmmm, not sure if I would go so far, as going camp to see it though [:)]

Hi de Hi Twinks......................Miki can't hear you........................Hi de...........[;-)]

I think Dick would make a good Geoffrey Fairbrother, as for Peggy, well......................