UK Severe Weather Warnings

Bugsy

Wouldn't you rather have the snow, Pip?

In answer to an earlier post, Northumbria's microclimate is mainly wild and windy.  But it is a very, very beautiful region, both in terms of coastline and countryside.  Just look out for midges if you go to Kielder in summer.

The Bigg Market near the Dockside in Newcastle is slightly protected from the wind blowing up the Tyne from the North Sea, which makes is possible for the lads and lasses wi' aal tha smilin' faces to go and get plastered in midwinter wearing little more than thongs and bras (lasses), T-shirts and half-calf trews (lads).

We don't deep fry Mars Bars but we do like scotch pies.

Slightly further south, Sunderland FC used to have a considerable advantage when playing at home as they were used to the winter gales blowing across the ground from Roker beach.

It's not always like this - it's just the memories that stick most firmly in my mind!

The Northumberland beaches have to be seen to be believed, by the way.  Almost enough to make you believe there is a God (which could explain why the monks set up shop at Lindisfarne, the wild and rugged island just off the coast accessible by causeway at low tide).

It's truly beautiful, and without wanting to seem to curry favour, the people are pretty OK as well, apart from calling people like me soft, southern b*****ds and telling us we drink weak beer. Not true, by the way, take a Geordie out for an evening of Young's Special, or even better Fuller's XXX and watch 'em keel over.

("Mummy - there's a dead man on the landing!" 

"No it isn't, it's Uncle Pete having a lie down.")

The coasts are marvelous, and still unspoiled, the small towns are charming (is Staindrop Northumberland or Durham?) and the bigger ones are lively.

The wind at Roker Park was always a problem, but that was just Pete, love him or leave him. Pete was convinced that they drink Scotch Ale on Lindisfarne, so he asked for a Pint of Scotch. They actually got the bottle of Haig off the shelf, which tells you something about Lindisfarne and a lot about Pete.

Problems exist, like anywhere, but I have similar feelings for Northumbria (thus including Co Durham and N Yorks) as I do for France. It's a great pity that Cumberland got the sausage...

[quote user="Cassis"]

The Northumberland beaches have to be seen to be believed, by the way.  Almost enough to make you believe there is a God (which could explain why the monks set up shop at Lindisfarne, the wild and rugged island just off the coast accessible by causeway at low tide).

[/quote]

Northumberland is stunningly beautiful - we have family who live there and a few years ago they had a fabulous barn conversion along The Wynding in Bamburgh (they live near to Alnwick castle now). From their lounge you could see the Farne Islands through one window and Bamburgh castle through another - and step through the gate at the end of their garden and you were on the sand dunes.  Heaven!!  If we could have afforded somewhere like that we probably wouldn't have bought a place in France - though I have to say its a tad more bracing up there [;-)]

Kathie

[quote user="Dick Smith"]It's truly beautiful, and without wanting to seem to curry favour, the people are pretty OK as well, apart from calling people like me soft, southern b*****ds and telling us we drink weak beer. Not true, by the way, take a Geordie out for an evening of Young's Special, or even better Fuller's XXX and watch 'em keel over.

[/quote]

Well, we like strong beer so maybe they'll forgive us for being soft, southern p**fters.  We're currently thinking of going to university there, and as I've never been 'oop north (Yorkshire Dales is the furthest I've ventured) I wondered what it was like.  I'm pleased to hear that it is a beautiful area; the north Kent coast is pretty bland.

What's a scotch pie?

Scotch pie - it's like a haggis in a pie crust.  Think spicy pie.  Looks like a pork pie from the shape only.  Delish.

Once Geordies start insulting you to your face you know you're in.  It's only when we mutter it to ourselves that you need to look for the exit.

And as Dick hints, never forget that a Scotch is actually a pint of Scotch ale, not a whisky, except on Lindisfarne where they drink a strange hooch called mead (made from fermented honey).

Another thing you need to know about is stotty cakes (like a big flat bap, but ginormous, great for sarnies) and pease pudding (great in a stotty with home cured ham).

I went to Nexcastle Uni, by the way.  Very  handy for nipping up to Kingston Park these days to see Jonny Wilkinson and his mates.  And Chester-le-Street just down the A1 has a gorgeous cricket ground.

"What an apt name you have for today, Blanche Neige!  It is surprisingly white in South-East London, so much so that all the schools are closed.  This means that I can't go to work today, so will just have to go on the Forum instead!"

England's

Largest

Vineyard

The winter months bring a sense of calm and a refreshing beauty to the vineyard. It's a lovely time to visit the visitor centre and enjoy a hearty lunch with excellent atmospshere and spectacular views. "Indoor Wine Experience" tours operate all year, there's a choice of restaurants, regularly changing art exhibitions, a well stocked wine and gift shop and Kitchen Garden Centre.  If a day is not enough, the on-site Bed & Breakfast offers "4 Diamond" accommodation, perfect for those attending business in the area or even one of the weddings, conferences or parties held at Denbies Wine Estate. "

Yes DZ my name was indeed very apt for a day like today and it was just like the picture above when I arrived at the vineyard this a.m. A quiet day at the gallery which gave us a break after the crowds we had yesterday. Snow melted away during the day but I hope the roads don't ice over tonight.

Neither of us drink spirits, so in no danger of ordering the wrong drink.  What 'meat' goes into a scotch pie?  Spicy pie sounds good, but I'd prefer not to eat offal.  Stotty cakes with pease pudding sounds very nice. 

So insulting being insulted is a good thing???  Is it a good idea to throw insults back?  I had been warned not to call a Geordie a certain word - but I have forgotten the word already!  I think it was a word reserved for people from Sunderland. Can anyone tell me what it is please?

What about sanity levels there? I know Geordie bloke who ate a pint glass, so I hope that they're not all completely bonkers!

I'd heard that the university is very good, and it is one of the few in the UK that do the course(s) that we want to do.  It's a shame that the rugby stadium is so far out of town though.  It sounds like a great area; just a pity about the wind there. 

The meat is unidentified. Probably best to leave it at that...

People from Newcastle are Geordies if working class, Tynesiders otherwise, from Sunderland they are Mackems and Wearsiders respectively.

If a Geordie insults you, smile. You are in. Do not insult him back until you have known him 5 years, eaten his salt and drunk his beer, and preferably married his sister.

Newcastle is OK but Durham is better (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?)

Dick is spot on regarding everything.  As regards the last bit (Newcastle v. Durham) if it's the Uni, depends on your subject.  I went to Newkie (also the name of the Brown Ale) to do psychology after doing law at Bristol and I loved it.  NB Durham is on the Wear.  Bit of a poor relation to the Tyne. [;-)]

Merci.  I think I'll give the pies a miss then.  Mackem was the word I was looking for.  What are my chances of getting duffed up if I use this word inappropriately? 

Durham doesn't do the course I want to do (only 5 or 6 other universities do it) and Newcastle is a cheaper area to live than Bath, so it seems the best bet.  Is there anything else I should know about? 

My wife's from Sunderland and she reckons a lot of people in Sunderland do not know that they are referred to as Mackems.  [Www]

It was explained to me as a reference to the SD40 (Standard Design 40) ships that used to be built on the Wear,  the good people of Sunderland were said to "mack 'em and tack 'em" i.e.make them and tack (rivet) them together cheaply,  implying shoddy workmanship, that sort of thing.  There are other theories but that's the one I first heard as a child.

I would recommend not using the term once further south than Gateshead unless you're sure of the company you're keeping!  I believe the rivalry between Newcastle and Sunderland dates back to the Civil War, by the way.

As a student I shared a dump of a flat in Benwell.  Little more than slum territory.  I gather the area is a bit better now since the council flogged off a load of houses for 50p each on condition that the new owners did them up.  They are selling for decent money now.

Public transport is excellent, e.g. the Metro system and buses link really well.

Places to visit  for starters: the Beamish Folk History museum near Chester-le-Street, Alnwick Castle and Alnwick Gardens, Bamburgh Castle, Lindisfarne, Cragside Hall and Gardens, Hadrian's Wall, Housesteads Roman Fort  and Wallington.  And Dick's favourite, Durham Cathedral and its surrounds.

I'm a bit uneasy about the way this thread is going. I would hate it if the beautiful beaches and countryside of the north west became too widely known because for me part of the attraction is that it's not overcrowded.

So much depends on what you're interested in; Durham is the finest cathedral I've ever seen. On a very different level, I was fascinated by the Chillingham cattle. Beamish has a very fine collection of country quilts too.

As someone said on another thread, if you get bored it's your own fault. Unless you're broke of course.

Hoddy