KathyC and Isle of Wight

tetley

I noticed on a different thread that KathyC comes from the good old IOW, I didn't know if I should have posted you privately, but there may be others of you out there too?  My family are from there, but we haven't travelled back much and find it SO expensive just to get from Portsmouth to Fishbourne!! Have you got any travelling tips you can share? we have got a trip back for a wedding this year...we have the problem that my In-laws are on the mainland so have to go and see them too, so will only have a couple of days at each place....and it is so annoying that you have to fork out about £50 for the car to sit on the drives at my parents!!!!!!  There are 4 of us, so it is usually cheaper for us to take the car over.  Be grateful if you know anything that I don't [;-)]

We lived in Newbridge for 7 years prior to Poitou Charentes, used to sell organic fruit and veg from our cottage opposite the post office. Did you know that Solent t.v can be picked up if you have a dish! Nothing much happened while we were there but one year after leaving they decided on bringing back the Isle of White music festival with top bands! Know what you mean about the ferries though....reason why we did not return to Essex often.

maria www.le-tilleul.com 

I have stumbled across solent tv...had to do a doubletake!! 

nothing much happened? what about the garlic festival every august!![:D]  it always fell on my birthday weekend, but we never went.  When we went over once to see mum and dad, I dragged everyone over to the garlic farm, and left very disappointed!!

It is very annoying how they can charge so much to get over the water though!! when the kiddies were smaller, I used to go alot.  Parking was free on the side roads and kids went free on hovercraft.  Then a few years ago, they started putting pay and display meters everywhere and kids reached 6, and going over became alot more expensive, so I went less frequently.

Hi Tetley

Ferry fares to and from the Island are extortionate; it frequently costs us more for a period return than it costs for a return from UK to France! I've no great advice for saving money; if you're travelling out of season you can ask your relatives to see if there are any special offer coupons in the County Press, otherwise Red Funnel are usually cheaper than Wightlink.

Solent TV! Why would you bother? You could watch paint dry for more entertainment. Roll on late spring when we're able to move over to France finally.

I know a lovely woman that went to live on the Isle of Wight 3 years ago. She was such a lovely person, and great fun to be with! but after 3 years in Bembridge, on the Isle of Wight, she has become very strange! she now spends her days counting the beds in her house, she is convinced that if she goes out someone will break in and rob her beds.  They are lovely though! they are them white painted Louis style reincarnations that you can get now.  David Ike lives on the Island, is that not a warning to stay away from the place!

[kiss]

no, furryknickers, the iow is quite charming.  went there years ago for a long weekend and stayed at an hotel in shanklyn.  don't know about LIVING there though. 

kathy, i have yet to visit mussidan and see that notaire you recommended.  just haven't really had the opportunity.

good luck with your move.

d'oh furryknickers!!!! now I am feeling guilty.  Yes of course. My little bro is getting married and of course we want to go, but, we feel we have only just been (went for christmas), and the whole trip can be expensive just for 4 days....but he is marrying an american, so people will be coming alot further and paying alot more than me!  I'll get mum to look out for the vouchers in the county press.

I did see on the wightlink website, that they did all in one tickets last year....france to Iow...did anyone use them?  they were still advertising it when I saw it, but I couldn't book it online, then when I phoned they didn't know what I was on about..apparently they did this last year, but they couldn't tell me what the savings were.

IOW to France - via the landbridge! I tried to book online and just got lost in cyberspace. I'll have another go and will let you know if I have any success. Don't hold your breath.

I should explain that I'm not an Islander (this is an important distinction to make and those who know the Island well will know why!) and although it's lovely here in some ways I won't be sorry to move. I can't believe that I've lived here for nearly nine years; it really is like entering a time warp.

You are an "overner" then Kathy C! They will never accept you untill you are married to one of your relatives, so it is best for you to get out of there!  When we were there last year at the shiny plough contest in Freshwater, I was attacked when I asked why all the locals had the same surname! We called in at the bank in Ryde on me way back to England, and there was a massive queue. While we were standing in the queue, a member of staff went along all the waiting customers asking for suggestions on how to improve the banking experience. I suggested a petting area would be grand to pass the time while waiting to be served, the manager went into her office and came out with a notice with the words "petting area" in red marker pen and stuck it on a wall next to her office. The queue went down very quickly as several of the customers went over to the new petting area and started stroking each other in a very strange way! We were very glad to get back to Upper Beagle and me gorgeous pug that was waiting there for us.

[kiss]

[;-)] what are you trying to say furryknickers????

I heard that when they opened the BHS store in newport a few years ago, it caused a great stir as there is an escalator...but it only goes up, people travelled from all over to have a ride [8-|][Www]........and yes I have been on it!!!

I am not an islander either...my Dad was born and raised there...went into the RAF for about 20 years...and then decided to take my family back over there with him...I was just 18, new boyfriend, new job so stayed put in England as my son calls the mainland.....

[quote user="tetley"]

I am not an islander either...my Dad was born and raised there...went into the RAF for about 20 years...and then decided to take my family back over there with him...I was just 18, new boyfriend, new job so stayed put in England as my son calls the mainland.....

[/quote]

If your son calls the mainland "England" then it sounds to me as if you've given birth to a real Islander!

Iwas told when I moved here that people from East Wight (where most of the towns are) go to West Wight (more rural) for their holidays. Whether or not that's true, a local travel agent told me that they book an enormous number of holidays to the Channel Islands and the Isles of Scilly - that's the Island mentality coming out.

A long shot but with ref. to I.O.W. Does anyone have any info on the chest clinic/sanatorium that was at Ventnor and run by the Sisters of St.Catherine? I was there for about 18 months about 1952/53/54. Mostly good memories apart from the shorts we had to wear that came back from the laundry pressed sideways. I've been trying to contact any old boys for some time but no luck and no references to follow.

Any info. appreciated.

Regards. www.ourinns.org

[quote user="Gastines"]

A long shot but with ref. to I.O.W. Does anyone have any info on the chest clinic/sanatorium that was at Ventnor and run by the Sisters of St.Catherine? I was there for about 18 months about 1952/53/54. Mostly good memories apart from the shorts we had to wear that came back from the laundry pressed sideways. I've been trying to contact any old boys for some time but no luck and no references to follow.

Any info. appreciated.

Regards. www.ourinns.org

[/quote]

I went to visit the museum of the old clinic / sanatorium some (many!) years ago while walking / youth hostelling with one of my daughters. Maybe the museum would be interested to hear from you and may even have contacts for some of the other boys. Perhaps you could arrange a reunion.........via Friends reunited. I was contacted last year for a college reunion via FR.

Bonne Chance

EDIT

having read Kathy Cs post obviously my memory plays tricks! However I remember going to Ventor and reading about the sanatorium (in a museum or on  history plaques) and I think there were (maybe still are) tunnels so that the patients could be pushed from the hospital  in wheelchairs to access the grounds.

Gastines, I  found this and thought of you!

http://www.institutions.org.uk/hospitals/info/sanatoriums.htm

[quote user="Gastines"]

Any info. appreciated.

Regards. www.ourinns.org

[/quote]

They pulled it down and built the Ventnor Botanic Gardens on the site.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/Features/Wight_Living/PIONEER_WHOSE_LEGACY_WAS_FOOD_FOR_THOUGHT.aspx

Had to laugh at all the comments...true the escalator was the highlight of the year...true people are VERY strange....true about a time warp.... true about solent t.v.....It was quite apparent that unless you had a blue rinse and wore crimpolene skirts you would not enjoy market day in Newport but than its obligatory here to have red hair and wear nylon dresses!

I think that's where some of the confusion lies,the Sanatorium was also in Ventnor.I was in the St.Catherine's 'Home' I've seen it called a chest clinic and each time I've tried to research it,I keep getting the School. I did contact the Tourist office but they obviously had bigger things to deal with.It was boys only, [worse luck ] and we were in 2or 3 houses with the Sisters having a convent and a chapel. As I was there for so long,I was one of the trusted inmates,patients; and I used to do the shopping on a Saturday in a Toy shop in Ventnor. The main purchase being Dinky racing cars as we had a track that run from the house at the top of the hill to the canteen/school at the bottom.We were allowed to listen to the Radio,via a speaker, in our dorms untill lights out. Early mornings used to see us all in our WIDE shorts, doing exercises in the yard, no matter what the weather.Afternoons we were usually struggling up and down St.Boniface downs, pinching cowslips, although I can't think who we were giving the flowers to?

Regards. www.ourinns.org

[quote user="FurryKnickers"]

You are an "overner" then Kathy C! They will never accept you untill you are married to one of your relatives, so it is best for you to get out of there!  When we were there last year at the shiny plough contest in Freshwater, I was attacked when I asked why all the locals had the same surname! We called in at the bank in Ryde on me way back to England, and there was a massive queue. While we were standing in the queue, a member of staff went along all the waiting customers asking for suggestions on how to improve the banking experience. I suggested a petting area would be grand to pass the time while waiting to be served, the manager went into her office and came out with a notice with the words "petting area" in red marker pen and stuck it on a wall next to her office. The queue went down very quickly as several of the customers went over to the new petting area and started stroking each other in a very strange way! We were very glad to get back to Upper Beagle and me gorgeous pug that was waiting there for us.

[kiss]

[/quote]

This was so funny, made me laugh out loud. Do you write for a living FK?.....a 'petting area'   classic!

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]