NIF Numero d'Idenficiation Fiscale

PaulT

It did say on our form, right at the bottom, that it was a Tax Identification Number 'TIN'.

Not filling it in or making a false declaration one can end up with 3 years prison and over a 40k€ fine.

OK, so would they do the latter? When it is indicated as such, I would imagine that they could.

Our forms were filled in honestly, however, as the replies did not suit our french bank, they suggested that we commit  fraud....... to say I have had a right battle recently, is an understatement!

My french bank said 'non applicable' was the term to be used, (if that applied) however, that was suddenly not enough, hence the request that we committed fraud, to which I told them in no uncertain terms that I would not do anything illegal. That went down like a ton of bricks. Literally took weeks to sort out.

French Bank:

'Numero d'Identification Fiscale (NIF) ou indiquer Non Applicable (NA) en l'absence de NIF delivre par les autorites du pays de residence fiscale.'

The document referenced above states:

'The most recent quasi TIN is the unique taxpayer reference (UTR). The format is a unique set

of 10 numerals allocated automatically by HMRC for individuals who have to submit a tax return. '

I do not have to submit a tax return and therefore do not have a TIN but my French bank wants me to have one!!!

If also states:

'However, not all resident taxpayers, or all nationals, are issued with a UTR or NINO. '

But NA is not good enough for the bank....where do I bang my head?

So are you perhaps in the same situation that I was for close to a decade Paul? - Non existant, no tax return in any country?

Yes the banks, or the French in general wont be able to get their head around that.

I would make one up.

I should add that a similar situation to this and my losing the will to live finished with the French bank closing my account and declaring me interdit bancaire to the Banque de France because I had not responded to a letter allegedly.

Would they accept your French Numéro Fiscal of 13 digits (as opposed to 10 in the UK) which you can find on your taxe foncières form?

It is an absurdity, since you are resident in the UK, but as it is a French number they might recognise and accept it?

The number stays with you across all taxes including income tax by the way.