Ok this is really wierd... or am I missing something...

Afy

No, you haven't missed any thread about it here, as far as I know,  Afy.

If you want to discuss it, would you like to start by giving your view/opinion?

For other posters, I'm guessing Afy is referring to the (apparent) mass murder by lone student gunman at Virginia Tech. USofA

[quote user="RumziGal"]

Afy, I think it's getting enough airtime as it is!  [:)]

It's very handy for taking our attention away from the daily deaths in Iraq. 

[/quote]

My sister mentioned same at our pub quiz night on Wednesday: on the same day that 2/3 of every news broadcast was about the American shootings, a brief mention was given to the latest outrage in Iraq: over 200 dead.

[quote user="Chris Head"]I'm really worried about the association Afy, I know you're obsessed about firearms. I personally don't think you're fit to be in charge of weaponry.[/quote]

Yes I do like firearms, and am not going to apologize about that. If some lunatic goes on a rampage it isnt any legal gun owner's fault. If he had gone on rampage with a meat cleaver, would you blame butchers?

And personally I do not believe you could be a judge of my fitness to own weapons or not. But that is your opinion and you're welcome to it.

As for the sad event detracting from Iraq, do you believe it to be a conspiracy? I do not see how the two are interconnected?

[quote user="Tresco"]

If you want to discuss it, would you like to start by giving your view/opinion?

For other posters, I'm guessing Afy is referring to the (apparent) mass murder by lone student gunman at Virginia Tech. USofA

[/quote]

My view is fairly straight forward:

The guy was mentally disturbed, the institutionalisation should have appeared on his record and stopped his purchase of the guns.

Then again one guy with farm goods killed 270, and 18 with knives did away with 3000. I personally dont think it would have stopped his lust for blood, but it just wouldnt have happened with guns.

Another senseless waste of life, and destoryed families due to this tragedy.

I don't think anyone's suggesting there is a conspiracy between Virginia and Iraq but the degree of reporting seems disproportionate.  Both events are evil and deplorable and 33 deaths in Virginia gets complete media attention while 200+ in Iraq gets a passing mention.  Is it that we are so used to Iraq deaths that we don't care? or is it just because it's Iraq?  If that had happened anywhere in the Western World can you imagine the outcry? Yet in Iraq, bombings are almost a daily occurrance with many people dying dreadfully.  You have to ask who are the American and allied forces fighting?  If they (we) went there to 'Liberate' the Iraqi people, why so many more deaths now than when Saddam was in power?  Yes we all know it's a power struggle but surely this should have been thought of before invading or following up with the 'Surge' or am I just naive......

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]  Is it that we are so used to Iraq deaths that we don't care? or is it just because it's Iraq?  If that had happened anywhere in the Western World can you imagine the outcry? Yet in Iraq, bombings are almost a daily occurrance with many people dying dreadfully.  You have to ask who are the American and allied forces fighting?  If they (we) went there to 'Liberate' the Iraqi people, why so many more deaths now than when Saddam was in power?  Yes we all know it's a power struggle but surely this should have been thought of before invading or following up with the 'Surge' or am I just naive......[/quote]

Nope... you ahve hit the nail on the head. The US has a very poor record when it tries to "export democracy", Korea, Vietnam, Chile, Panama, Afghanistan are just some of the examples. Over the last six years, the world has become an extermely dangerous place.

The deaths in Iraq are an everyday occurance, and have ceased to shock us. The News media thrives on sensationalism. Everything else is not news worthy...