A wasted life?

cooperlola

[quote user="cooperlola"]   A couple of minutes ago I noticed I'd past the 4,000 post mark![:-))] Surely, I could have been doing something better with my time?[:D][/quote]

Calls for a celebration Debs....................................[B][B][B]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]   A couple of minutes ago I noticed I'd past the 4,000 post mark![:-))] Surely, I could have been doing something better with my time?[:D][/quote]

Calls for a celebration Debs....................................[B][B][B]

[/quote]

What could possibly be better?  [:D] I agree with Bugbear, I think you should be celebrating.  But be sure to celebrate with your husband, chances are he would appreciate your company for a change instead of spending your free time on the computer. [:-))]!

Unfortunately, I have heard this comment made by my husband once or twice. [Www]

[quote user="cooperlola"]A wasted life?[/quote]

Anything but!

By your own admission, you are not directly concerned by these changes and yet you beaver away on behalf of all those who are... Well done and here's a [B] of Bishops Finger from me to you and all those who work with you on this matter...

I wonder if it all depends on what you

are posting. Some people seem continually logged-on to a forum and

leap in immediately to respond to any post. They primarily want to

chat with others but are happy to Google, find something (relevant or

not) and then be an "expert". Some people use fora(?) to

have a group of friends (maybe making-up for aspects of their real

lives that are lacking).

Others participate to help others, be

helped and learn (i.e. positive motives). An occasional check,

offering assistance and happy to be disagreed with. No need to spend

ages justifying their expertise when it turns out their Google search

gave then a spoof/out-of-date/just wrong site for their "expertise".

Ian

[quote user="TWINKLE"]I just Googled what you posted and you're absolutely right[:D][/quote]

Makes you an expert.  However, if I disagree with you, you are now obliged to regularly and repeatedly post messages convincing everybody about your expertise and experience.

(Note how quickly I posted this response - so who is just sitting here with nothing better to do [:$])

Ian

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I think the "I'm right, you're wrong" approach is the best - makes for a nice long, spiral thread, in my experience. Much better if you're actually wrong too..[Www]

[/quote]

Don't like come across too agressively but in this case "you're wrong and I'm right".  Sorry but I've just been on Google again so I am the expert here ('cos Google is such a secret and only used by the elite few really knowledgable.

Ian

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Sorry for not replying immediately Ian (mate[;-)]) but I was Googling stuff for the other 24 forums I contribute to on a daily basis. 

Don't you DARE disagree with me!

[/quote]

Nearly 15 mins.  Tut, tut, tut.  People will begin to suspect you have other aspects to your life and they any "expertise" will disolve fast.  I know this because I am an expert.

But now there is a decent wind, sun is out (though very cold) so I'm off sailing (in the full knowledge that I was right).

Ian

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Going sailing cannot be right.  I've googled it and it says its been proved by a group of Lithuanian scientists that it is bad for your health, and that of those around you.

[/quote]

Actually there is probably too much wind for me here today so I'll probably be posting to the Health forum later today.  Sort of funnels down the river valley and can on occasions get quite strong.  Still, one has to try.

Probably safer than being on a horse though.

Ian

Just one little thing -  There was a study in Japan - reprinted in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2004  ( part of the British Medical Journal Group) which has shown a link between heavy computer use and Glaucoma in people who have refractive defects - especially short-sightedness. - and I didn't even google it!!

It is an interesting paper and the  researches are aware of several limitations to the study and suggest further work is undertaken but it could maybe serve as a reminder to everyone out there ( especially over 60) to have regular eye tests and dare I say spend  a little more time away from the screen!!

[quote user="Nickel"]

Just one little thing -  There was a study in

Japan - reprinted in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community

Health...

[/quote]

Getting back on topic here. 

Good sail, nearly bottled out just before launching, but no damage and

I'm OK too.

One side issue raised earlier in the thread about

post numbers.  Maybe its a bit like turning 40 or 50.  For

me 40 (the traditional hard one) was just not relevant, but I did

find 50 hard.  Maybe you 2000 posts is similar.

And then

Glaucoma.  My father has it (caught before it was a problem and

dealt with by drugs).  However, due to the genetic link I am

supposed to have regular eye tests.  In the UK I was told every

year after age 40.  I was surprised when I eventually got round

to having my eyes tested last year in France that they then said

every 3 years - and I'm over 50 (plus they were aware of the glaucoma

in the family).  Still, as I'm being thrown off the state health

cover in Jan I had another eye test last week (mostly paid for by the

FR gov). Plus, I need a medical certificate dated 2008 and, as I

lose cover 5/Jan I need to try and sort out FFV membership, get the

card and get the medical all before 5/Jan (so Sarkozy has to pay for

it).

Ian

Deimos,

Whoops - but I did think the topic was - A Wasted Life - a thread started by Cooperlola "I noticed I passed the 4000 post mark .Surely I could have been doing something better with my time"

I was merely quoting a source that says there may ( yes may ) be a link between too much computer use and glaucoma - thought it was worth a mention, perhaps not.

[quote user="Nickel"]

Deimos,

Whoops - but I did think the topic was - A Wasted Life - a thread started by Cooperlola "I noticed I passed the 4000 post mark .Surely I could have been doing something better with my time"

I was merely quoting a source that says there may ( yes may ) be a link between too much computer use and glaucoma - thought it was worth a mention, perhaps not.

[/quote]

Definately was worth a mention.  I was being light hearted (but never could get to grips with these smiley things).  And the topic was about posts (not my sailing today).

Ian