Flogging 'leccy to EDF

The Riff-Raff Element

I read an article in some expat paper about someone in Dordogne (I think) who had put solar panels on their roof and were flogging power to EDF during daylight when they made it, while buying back their needs when they did not.

Now, I knew this was possible, but what surprised me is this: they are contracted to buy the power they use at 8 cents per unit, but EDF will buy from them at 50cents.

To me, from EDF's point of view, this doesn't immediately look like great business sense, particularly as the highest tarrif they seem to charge consumers, AFAIK, is the "red" daytime tarrif at 32cents, HT.

So, at best, they lock in something like an 18 cent loss on every unit they buy.

Are these prices correct, or should that "50 cents" be 5 cents, a much more believable price for wholesale electricity?

The EDF website is strangely unhelpful on this subject (or I'm being thick and just can't see it), but at 50cents a unit there would be a huge incentive for me to cover the several hundred square meters of roof (house, gite and assorted out buildings) with panels - even if they're not all exactly south facing - and put a dozen of those mini wind turbines in the garden. Back of a fag packet, I'd gross around 45,000 euros per year. And I'd presumably get some kind of tax credit for being dead environmentally friendly too.

Add in the child benefit and I'd just be able to spend my time reading Graham Greene novels, sipping fine wines and watching the sails turn on me windmills while the cheques piled on the doormat (figuratively speaking).

Life couldn't be that easy, could it????

Fantastic - thanks Clair.

Well, if any banks have any money left over from throwing cash at the deserving poor of American trailer parks[:P], they really could do worse than to lend to people wanting to festoon their houses with photovolatic cells!

What a wizzard wheeze - a revenue gauranteed by EDF as security. Doesn't come much better than that.

[quote user="Clair"]Note that the purchase value of55 cents/kWh is offered only if the photovoltaic panels are integrated into the building.
If the panels are added on, the purchase value is 30 cents/kWh.
[/quote]

So when I get round to building my dream house I can cover the roof & walls with solar panels instead of bardage or crepi and retire on the proceeds?

• 3 months later...

Most of the info here is correct but for EDF to buy they have to install net metering equiptment - between 800 to 1200€. The contract typically runs for 20 years and it is expected the buy back rates will change next year - this is happening in other EU countries at present

For wind it usually depends whether you are in a Zone Eolienne. There is also a limit to the size of turbine (watts) whihc if you exceed you need a license.

Approved Inverters are G83 which is not a standard yet but a recommendation - however without it they certainly wont connect you. Typical G83 inverters costs from 600€ upwards.

Lots to think about

Marc