Paypal again?

Jonzjob

I have just had an email from these idiots asking me to click on a link to access my account. The link looks genuine, but that's no gaurantee in this day and age. I have complained about the stupidity of it to them previously and they just said it is what they do.

well, I saw red today and sent them this email, after spending about 15 minutes trying to find out how to email them and a freephone call with about 10 tappie this and tappie that options.

"I have just received an email from you asking me to click on a link that will take me to my account. I have queried this before and been told that the email is genuine and from you.

This is a ridiculous thing to ask people in this day of thieves and thugs on the internet. I have just read an article where a lady had her bank account emptied by a similar scam. Why do you continue this idiotic practice? All you need to do is ask your customers to go to the paypal site by typing in the correct address which you can give, non clickable. This way your customers will know for sure that they are on the correct site and are safe to carry out their transactions!

It isn’t exactly rocket science is it?

Very annoyed,

JJ"

I wonder just what planet some people are on at times? And it isn't just PP France, it's global! I don't think they could spell security never mind understand it!

Jonzjob.....you are right. Keep up the good work.

I have had such emails from legitimate companies who I have taken to task because of their complete stupidity for sending emails out that look really suss.

A lot of these tech companies outsource there operations to far east countries you see and that is the problem. Badly trained, non English speaking cheap labour.

It will all end in tears.

It's pretty simple really. Banks, PayPal, credit cards etc. ignore the email and login to your account via your browser as normal and check the messages there. If there is no message etc. then delete the email.

If you really want to stop this if it is a scam then look at the header and whatever domain sent the email return to [email protected]. Obviously replace fredblogs with the domain name. If your emailing PayPal to complain you need to copy the header from the email so they can trace it.

Rule of thumb used to be if it didn't have your name in it then then it's a scam but these days they often have your name as well.

My German bank sends me an SMS to tell me there is a message in my account inbox but no internet link is included. They make a point of telling you when you join they will never ask you to login via an email.

John,

To email Paypal, click the bell symbol at the top rhs of your home page.

Then click on "Go to Message Center"

The click on "Compose" at the top rhs, and write your email.

I don't know the significance of the bell symbol, maybe something to attract attention?

BTW, whenever Paypal send me a link to access a message, the message source is always paypal service, and the message always contains my full name as a security measure.

In case I don't want to click on the link, the following paragraph is included:

Alternatively you can:

- Click

the "Notifications"  icon near the top of the page. 

- Click "Go to Message

Center".

- Click the message to view it.  

If you’re unable to log

into your account even after resetting your password, please call us.

Click "Help & Contact"  at the bottom of the PayPal homepage, and then

click "Call us".

Not quite sure what you're actually complaining about, just look at the URL any legitimate link should look something like this: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/home

Apart from notifications when I've purchased something the only other communications I get from PP are offers of credit and a monthly summary of my activity. Furthermore any links contained therein just take me to the PP login page where once again I can check the URL before entering anything.

Even if you are storing your login details in the browser (not a good idea) then if it's not the genuine PP site then those will not be triggered to log in to it.

Getting into a lather over nothing it seems to me and of course the choice of whether to use PP or not is always yours [;-)]

My 'complaint', as you call it, is that not everyone is computer savi, plus the thieves are getting very smart about how link web sites look. If you were to click on the link and taken to a nice, genuine looking web page, sign in and hand over your login details to the thieves/thugs/low life. What then? They have your login details don't they.

As uncharitable an unsympathetic as it might sound and as much as I applaud your public spiritedness in highlighting them these sort of phishing threats have been around for a very long time now and it's becoming increasing difficult to view victims as anything other than authors of their own misfortune, the hand holding has to stop somewhere.

Your analysis of the potential risks would appear to indicate that you

do not include yourself amongst the 'less savvy' so why are you taking

it so personally ?

[quote user="AnOther"]As uncharitable an unsympathetic as it might sound and as much as I applaud your public spiritedness in highlighting them these sort of phishing threats have been around for a very long time now and it's becoming increasing difficult to view victims as anything other than authors of their own misfortune, the hand holding has to stop somewhere.

Your analysis of the potential risks would appear to indicate that you

do not include yourself amongst the 'less savvy' so why are you taking

it so personally ?

[/quote]

Make a wild guess.