Careful Girls - Yuk!!

Bugsy

I thought that it was a hoax and then saw that it claimed to be true.

They are not what we Brits would call hair bands but hair ties.  I have three daughters and we all have long hair and use hair ties.  I shall have to be careful when buying them in the market, although I'm not sure how you would know.  Does Claire's Assessories (every little girl's favourite shop) know?!!

[quote user="Cathy"]

They are not what we Brits would call hair bands but hair ties.  I have three daughters and we all have long hair and use hair ties.

[/quote]

OMG i have sooooo been calling them hair bands all my life! Have i been getting it wrong?

Has anyone else just cut up all theirs just to see.......?? No winners here.

[:D]

What my 3 daughters and I call hair bands, Meg, are the things that are curved and keep your hair back, without having to tie it up.  This is so difficult to describe.  Here's one:

http://cortex-abc.co.uk/images/Hair_Band_White_300.JPG

It's probably like daps and plimsolls and pumps and trainers - same thing, different terms, depending on where you live?

Cathy/Meg

I call a hair band one of these condom ring thingies (yuck yuck yuck again!!! USED!!!) (by the way where do they get the used ones from?)  [blink]

and I call the white thing Cathy posted an alice band....   although an alice band can also be a stretchy cloth that is like a circle of fabric but when on your head looks much the same. [8-)]

As an aside, when I was little I had one of the things Cathy posted (alice band) and one day in the play ground was doing a hand stand and fell... head first onto the playground and all the little combe things all managed to make little puncture marks in my head... and it hurt a lot! [:)]  [:D]

Oh come on!!! Even if it is true that they are condoms (possible), even if it is true that they are USED condoms (where would they be obtained from, Shangai brothels?) and even if every single used condoms still retained some live organisms from some remaining contaminated body fluids, then HOW would you catch a "sexually transmitted disease"? I may be naive, but what exactly do you do with hair ties??? You don't really stuff them up your wotsit, do you???

It reminds me of the fear of catching AIDS or getting pregnant from sitting on a lavatory seat, or from kissing on the cheek....

I think one of the articles I read on it (might have been Snopes) said that girls with long hair often hold the band in their mouth whilst plaiting their hair/gathering it up for a pony-tail (I know I do).  So I suppose that if there were an open wound, scratch, whatever, it might just be conceivably possible.

Still, the risk, if there is one, would still be tiny.  It's just the yuk factor [+o(]

[quote user="Cat"]

Still, the risk, if there is one, would still be tiny.  It's just the yuk factor [+o(]

[/quote]

It would be infinitesimal, or even non-existent. The offending organisms do not remain "live" for very long, certainly not long enough to be able to cause any harm.

Now, the yuk factor, that is something else.

Although, if we knew the full history of  all the things we eat or put in our mouths, I bet we would be yukked out of our brains.[:D][+o(]

[quote user="5-element"]

Although, if we knew the full history of  all the things we eat or put in our mouths, I bet we would be yukked out of our brains.[:D][+o(]

[/quote]

Dorothy Parker (1893-1967) : "Hah, change one letter in that sentence and you've got the story of my life."

[quote user="Cat"]  I think one of the articles I read on it (might have been Snopes) said that girls with long hair often hold the band in their mouth whilst plaiting their hair/gathering it up for a pony-tail (I know I do).  [/quote]

At the exact moment, I was reading this post, I was fiddling with a hair braid in my mouth.  I took it out immediately.....

[quote user="5-element"]

Oh come on!!! Even if it is true that they are condoms (possible), even if it is true that they are USED condoms (where would they be obtained from, Shangai brothels?) and even if every single used condoms still retained some live organisms from some remaining contaminated body fluids, then HOW would you catch a "sexually transmitted disease"? I may be naive, but what exactly do you do with hair ties??? You don't really stuff them up your wotsit, do you???

It reminds me of the fear of catching AIDS or getting pregnant from sitting on a lavatory seat, or from kissing on the cheek....

[/quote]

5 element - I hadn't even thought about any risk of catching anything... never entered my thoughts... I'm just squeamish and its' simply the thought of used condoms being re-used to make hair bands... or just being re-used.  Just thinking about how they find the used condoms is enough yuck for me...[:D]

[quote user="Rose"][quote user="5-element"] [/quote]

Just thinking about how they find the used condoms is enough yuck for me...[:D][/quote]

At sewerage plants, they get taken out of the system by great big filters, along with the other rubbish that people flush down the loos.

Just think, not only used condoms but straight from the sewer..........

That would be such a lot of trouble, no?

Might as well use fresh, unused condoms, possibly cheaper too. Or how about using the ones that get discarded at the end of the manufacturing process because they are sub-standard? Or, even better, how about using just the plain rubber before it is turned into a condom? It really does not make sense, out of all the hoaxes.....

I did fall for the one of the exploding Mexican cactus that releases hundreds of venomous spiders though....[:D]