British banks rated less sound than Botswana's!

Jotty

[quote user="Jotty"] A story in the Times.. ( sorry Ron)

"Britain's banking system is less financially sound than banks in Senegal, Botswana or El Salvador, according to a survey of 1,000 Nigerian and Liberian Finance and Oil Ministers and their widows, carried out for the World Economic Forum." 

The reason given was the drop in people taking up their offers to give millions of pounds to UK bank customers[:P] [/quote]

Truth damned truth and statistics!

How can you have British business leaders voting their banks into 44th place and Canadian business leaders voting their banks into first place in the same survey?

It looks like business leaders were asked to rank their confidence in their own countries banking system on a scale of 0 to 7 and then they amalgamated the results which make the above statements entirely incorrect.

That is to say perhaps it would be correct to say a survey of world business leaders from "X" countries voted Britain into 44th place and Canada into 1st place.

I thought that they were very quick on their feet that morning, before making the Ā£500 billion available to banks who needed it (which was snapped up by most of them) they first had to deal with the only UK bank that really needed it, Kaupthing Edge, they managed to force it into administration and then flog it off double quick to the unsuspecting Dutch before making the mid-day announcement.

This was supposedly to protect British savers money (including mine) but in fact they were covering their own ar5e as they didnt want another British bank to buy it using the newly available capital (your/our money) and neatly managed to get out of guaranteeing savers losses by offloading it sharply and therefore now making the Dutch government responsible.

My Darling Alistair is a swift operator and will "make" loads of money when he finally leaves office.

Have been trying since the 15th September to contact Kaupthing IOM. Have received no response it is as though the bank has been not 'really'  been dealing since that date or before. Did leave a telephone message with the IOM Treasury on 18th Sept and several since which have not been replied to. Back to the port & brandy. Can I sue the IOM for liver damage.

Do you mean an Isle of Man based Kaupthing bank Poppy? If so then I cant be of any direct help but I understand your anxiety very well.

Re Kaupthing edge UK I have finally been able to access my account and it seems that the on-line withdrawal that I made minutes before the chancellor announced that "they have gone into receivership in the last hour" (the truth being that he placed them under administration) has at last been processed so maybe I will have some merguez again this weekend, we will have to wait and see.

It appears that several billion of local authorities money was also invested with them, Kent county council said they had spread their exposure following government advice between 31 banks, 3 of which were Icelandic, they say that they have lost Ā£50 million, to me that means that they have gambled and lost the council tax payers money.

If the money was evenly spread that means that they had over Ā£500 million invested, why oh why do they do insist on doing this whilst upping council taxes and cutting back local services.

I do hope that you get some response very soon Poppy.

I do mean Kaupthing Isle of Man  but can't believe no response from 15th September from either the Bank or IOM Treasury to date. The Kaupthing website today does state the IOM have withdawn their banking facilities but it appears to be 3 weeks after they actually stopped trading. It is immoral that no one is responsible for this. We tried to be honest didn't open an account with a fictious UK address with a bank in the UK. Opened an offshore account 10 years ago with a merchant bank Singer & Friedlander agreed to pay tax in country of residence. received notification last year that bank taken over by Kaupthing  Iceland . Irony is that Kautphing customers got 7% interest and we still got S&F 4%.

Please tell me now how to become a criminal;

"ING have aquired Kaupthing savings accounts so your money should be safe Poppy ."

Afraid not; ING have aquired Kaupthing EDGE accounts only. The backlog of CHAPS/BACS payments should apparently start to clear today.

Poppy, you might find some helpful info here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1203227